APC Forum

Tigertail over Emarald Green, additional prime needed?

dangerousamateur

Hi,

when I roll Tigertail over Emarald Green cores, do I need to use some prime between them?

Unfortunately I'm in a bit of a hurry and cannot try it out before.

I have a similar question. When use two different colors formulas but similar like substituting barium for strontium, is a color change prime needed? I assume not because they are already burning at a very close if not the same temp to begin with, is that correct?

To answer your question, yes because the TT burns at a lower temp then most colors (depending on the formula). It may work but to have a reliable ignition of the color you should use a prime.

I would definitely use a prime between the TT and the emerald green. Assuming that the color core will light well after the star has significantly slowed down, even a BP + Silicon or metal might do the trick. I'd prefer to overprime than under prime though.

When changing between two similar formulas, you shouldn't have to worry about the inner composition not lighting. One issue that people sometimes have is that two colors mix while rolling, or don't have a clean transition, and the color appears muddy or ragged for a moment. For this reason, people will often use dark relays or changing relays between the compositions. It also makes the color change appear more crisp. I wouldn't worry about this just yet. Get down the techniques of rolling and sizing stars first, as well as general shell construction. Using a relay wont make one bit of difference if you have lopsided breaks or ragged timing to begin with. A mediocre shell is still a mediocre shell. It will help to turn a good shell into a great shell though.

I made same stars and i used bp +mgnal 325 for prime.Also i used and bp only without problem.

But i suggest you to add some metal to be sure for the ignition.

I had bad experiences with Ruby red primed with BP with silicon added. Emerald green is very similar. I would suggest a step prime with 50:50 TT/Emerald.