APC Forum

school shooting in US

FAGERHULT

Just want to say that my heart goes out to all Americans especially to all that lost a family member. Its so terrible and upsetting to hear the news, its unbeliviable.

Really sad that the news sources could not get the facts straight on this story.

This kid should have been institutionalized, he had some serious mental problems.

Too bad we don't have state mental hospitals like we had back in the seventies before they were all closed.

According the few reports I've seen, he was a daydreamer, an introvert and high functioning autistic. That could describe several members here, including myself. None of those require institutionalization (I would sure as hell hope not...), nor are they warning signs or risk factors for violent behavior.

According the few reports I've seen, he was a daydreamer, an introvert and high functioning autistic. That could describe several members here, including myself. None of those require institutionalization (I would sure as hell hope not...), nor are they warning signs or risk factors for violent behavior.

Those are three of the many markers used in the diagnosis for Aspergers syndrome. I have an Aspe in the MARINES, don't see him going on a mass shooting spree...

One of the interviews with a family friend that used to babysit Adam, noted his mother

told him to never turn your back on the kid?

There has to be a reason the mother would tell someone that.

I doubt if we will ever know the entire medical condition based on Hipaa regulations.

One of the interviews with a family friend that used to babysit Adam, noted his mother

told him to never turn your back on the kid?

There has to be a reason the mother would tell someone that.

I doubt if we will ever know the entire medical condition based on Hipaa regulations.

Yes, you retain full rights to privacy even upon death according to http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/index.html.

-dag

It's obvious that there was more wrong with the person than what was reported, but the media gets their hands on whatever information they can and tries to tell you how profound it is. I just don't want to see a stigma, loss in freedoms, or for that matter a witch hunt against personality types that are "different" from the general population.

I would also like to see media sensationalism on mass killings go away. These killers need to know that they will still be a nobody after they shoot a bunch of people. Were I to know a victim of a shooting I also wouldn't want to hear about it in the media for several months while I'm trying to grieve. The only good the media is doing is for their own pockets. That's my take on it, anyhow...

I would also like to see media sensationalism on mass killings go away. These killers need to know that they will still be a nobody after they shoot a bunch of people. Were I to know a victim of a shooting I also wouldn't want to hear about it in the media for several months while I'm trying to grieve. The only good the media is doing is for their own pockets. That's my take on it, anyhow...

That makes two of us, but it will never happen. Reporting these stories makes money because people are captivated by them. The news won't stop reporting on such things unless people lose interest, and it's hard to blame them. If one news source didn't report the story everyone would change the channel to the one that was. News broadcast is unfortunately a business, not a charity out to do the most good in the world. If it were a charity, we'd see a lot more stories about how small a percentage of our national income it would take to provide the entire third world population with malaria vaccines and clean drinking water. Nobody wants to hear that sort of thing all day though, because it requires the person hearing it to either give something up or face that they would rather be comfortable than save the life of someone they don't know. It's a lot more entertaining to hear about tragedies that we can blame the government or other people for than it is to hear about things that we could actually do something about.

I believe you are correct. Perhaps a simple regulation could fix that. How about disallowing commercials during stories about violence, or at least certain types of violence? No commercials, no revenue...

With all the hyperbole being spewed by the media, it's not going to be easy for the public to get to the real root of this tragedy for quite some time. Given what I have read about the mother...if she thought her son had issues and was trying to commit him for treatment, what in the hell was she thinking when the boy had guns in his possession? ...purchased in HER name!

We won't know all the fine details for some time to come, if ever. In the meantime, let's blame an inanimate object and rile up the sheeple.

With all the hyperbole being spewed by the media, it's not going to be easy for the public to get to the real root of this tragedy for quite some time. Given what I have read about the mother...if she thought her son had issues and was trying to commit him for treatment, what in the hell was she thinking when the boy had guns in his possession? ...purchased in HER name!

We won't know all the fine details for some time to come, if ever. In the meantime, let's blame an inanimate object and rile up the sheeple.

Damn, how did you read my very mind? Good post people.

---

In the meantime, let's blame an inanimate object and rile up the sheeple.

In Europe the "discussion" around this is mostly about gun laws, of course.

What they don't mention is that Vermont with a law that allows you to buy a Glock within 5 minutes if unpunished has a lower crime rate than for instance Sweden, where you have 6 months (yes!) of compulsory membership in a shooting club before even allowed to get a license for a .22.

People are dumbfucks <_<

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

I am just thinking if the government is going to go on a witch hunt on anyone with Asperger's or have different personality. History has shown that the minority will always be oppressed. When a minority becomes a majority, the oppression continues. I do not think people are fit to rule themselves...

The real psychopaths are the ones in the government. They are so smart that the general public doesn't understand that they are psychopaths ;) Edited by Potassiumchlorate

"No later than January." Here we go, another Obamacare that's going to be thought out in less than a month by people far removed from society and forced around legal avenues. To think that the country with the most freedoms on earth is having them eroded away is depressing. There's nowhere better to escape to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oee_BIUyZyA

Edited by NightHawkInLight

Nah, chech out the Czech Republic. They have a sound gunlaw with a RTC, although you need a license for it.

And, above all, they are extremely liberal what pyro concerns ;)

Gotta love switzerland, you're required by law to own a gun and train with it for the citizen's militia...And their gun related deaths (per 100,000 people) are approximately 10 times lower than the US.

If everyone carried a side arm, people would be a lot nicer to each other over time.

First year or two would see a natural selection take place with the criminal element weeded out of our society.

The wallstreet banksters might have a hard time sleeping at night if that was to happen. (HSBC)

If everyone carried a side arm, people would be a lot nicer to each other over time.

First year or two would see a natural selection take place with the criminal element weeded out of our society.

The wallstreet banksters might have a hard time sleeping at night if that was to happen. (HSBC)

Your saying more guns will make our society safer. That makes no sense at all.

We need better screening of the people who buy and use guns. I am totally for the 2nd amendment

but, I am a firm believer that military-style assault weapons have no place in U.S. society. my 2 cents.

BJV

The thing I find funny is how cosmetic the assault weapon ban was. You could still have a semi-auto rifle but it couldn't have a pistol grip or vertical foregrip. Really now, what do those add to the weapon in terms of lethality? Then there's the mag capacity limitation, which was silly considering how many 30 round mags were still floating around, plus the fact that anyone with some basic machining skills could make one in their basement. And if the potential killer was turned on by the military style cosmetic features I'm sure he could add those on as well. Only the laziest and dumbest shooter would be discouraged by a re-enstated assault weapons ban. I suppose some of these killers probably are lazy and dumb but still...

but, I am a firm believer that military-style assault weapons have no place in U.S. society. my 2 cents.

BJV

I don't understand how the shape of a gun makes a difference. A .223 semi auto rifle available to consumers is the same no matter what the grip and stock looks like. One might look more intimidating thaan the next, but it is purely cosmetic. Unless said rifle has been modified (most likely illegally) fire rate depends on how fast you can pull the trigger.

If and when the criminals are the only ones with guns, how do you protect yourself?

There are a number of countries in the world that rely on it's citizens for military protection.

These countries have some of the lowest crime rates in the world.

Owning and using a gun requires proper training and discipline.

Kind of like owning a car, how many people die in car accidents every year?

If you are properly trained to operate a car responsibly you won't cause accidents.

If you drive a car and text, drink, eat food, etc. you can cause an accident and kill someone.

Everything you do in life requires experience, training, and responsibility.

Wot? Cosmetics on guns? You guys never heard of a drive-by bayoneting?

All kidding aside, the tragic event that triggered all the gun grab talk (again) still needs to be resolved to find the real problem. All the gun restriction talk is just whitewash to deflect thinking of the real issue at hand.....societal degradation. When I was growing up you could go to the local hardware store and find surplus long arms by the barrel full. There were more guns available and easier to get in the 60's and 70', including semi-autos, yet there were no major tragedies like we have seen over the past year. So what has changed here? Think about THAT problem and not a contrived gun problem.

Mikee - Just noticed a report from the CDC (generally biased against firearms) that gun related deaths have surpassed auto related deaths. One of the online media outlets ran the article and don't remember exact details. CDC data is generally regarded as suspect since it is a very politicized arm of the government.

Edit: CDC report estimated gun deaths will exceed auto deaths by 2015. Did not see that year in first article I read.

Edited by Bobosan

Just read this in a news article.

Shooter Adam Lanza was said by relatives to be on Fanapt (Iloperidone) - an anti-psychotic prescribed for people suffering from schizophrenia.

Not sure how accurate this is based on prior news releases so far.