APC Forum

My Rcandy bottle rocket, and a question

Oinikis

So, i got very keen with rcandy, and i like these rcandy rockets. This one is made with homemade wooden rocket tooling ID 9mm, core diameter is 2mm and about 4 cm long, there is no plug on the bottom (nozzleless): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGLqEC8EeKM

Recently i have tried ones with reports, and most of them had CATO. The report shoots out in the air .Can someone say how to conect it, so it won't explode? Will drilled bentonite clay plug work?

Oinikis

Edited by Oinikis

Cool nozzleless r-candy rocket! Do you have a delay section above your core? You should have a short, solid increment above your core, that adds delay before the header lights. This is also were you would add Ti to the fuel if you wanted a tail.

well, above the core i add same amount of rcandy, as is from the core to the wall, so all the fuel burns out at the same time, not wasting the fuel. I know that thig about delay. i have made succes with headers (small shell) it was rcandy to the top, there was few milimeters more rcandy, than i add normaly, so it added delay, and did not exploded(the top i mean, shell worked). sadly, i only have basic BP chemicals, and some soviet painting aluminium, so i have TT and D1/glitter stars. so could you explain, how to do it step by step for header, and what could it use for tail, after the rocket burns out? TT mixuture? Edited by Oinikis

It sounds like you are have the delay burn through too soon with your salute headers. If you just add a little more fuel, it might solve your issues. The tail is part of the rocket, it comes from what you use in the delay section, when it burns out, your header should ignite. TT is a little slow for use as delay, you can try C6 for a charcoal tail. If you add 5% of that Al into it, it might give a different streamer effect or brighten up the tail. So when you are ramming your motor, use the rcandy fuel up the spindle as you would normally. When you get to the top of the spindle where you will switch to your solid rammer, switch to your delay fuel, for example, C6+Al. I would start with 1.5 times your ID, so 13-14mm of delay. Shoot one and see where it gets you, if the rocket is coming back down, make the delay shorter.

In the US, most of our Al cans for beverages are made of a Al/Mg alloy, if they were the same where you are, you could get some fillings from them and use it in your delay. It might help add a more silver look and maybe a sizzling noise. Also, if you just use plain BP instead of rcandy, you might be able to make some nice little nozzleless BP motors with that.

thanks, really helpfull. about Mg/Al, i have some solid peaces of that alloy, but i do not know what ratio. i got it from a car gearbox. my brother changed his car gearbox, and threw away the old one. i found out that it is made out of magnalium. filed some off, mixed with sulfur, and even with big filings, it burned like granulated BP, giving bright flash. Now working on mortar racks. gonna make 9 shot 30mm shell mortar rack, plus a starmine in between each shot and 3 fountains. i have bought 30mm drill bit. gonna take big, strong oak log, and drill the holes, i've made plan on the paper. i have tested it, wood is pretty strong enough for this, and even if it will blow up, it gonna split in 2 peaces ( i have blown up some big logs :D)

Its probably around 70:30 Al:Mg, I have been lead to believe this is a relatively common MgAl ratio for non-pyrotechnic use. It probably also contains small quantites of other metals and metaloids.

yeah, probably, it's made for being strong, not burning, but it still burned very nice using sulfur as oxidyzer. i have a question, whitch what i could coat a black match fuse, so i can use it as visco fuse(resistant to bends)? i have tried wheat paste, and it's really strong, and do not colapse on bends, but burns badly, i mean doesn't burn almost at all. i have bought some NC ping pong balls, so may i make some NC laquer? do not forget, i do not have much stuff.

You could make what is like firecracker fuse. Take a thin strip of tissue paper, like used for gifts and such. Wet it with some water, a sponge helps. Sprinkle a thin line of bp down the center. Start from one corner and roll it up at an angle. After it dries, you could put a thin layer of NC on it for more stiffness.

Ping Pong balls are not really made of NC, it would be better to use some smokeless powder for reloading. If you must, it could be salvaged from shot shells, while also supplying you some shot to use as cores to roll with.

Thank you! i will try that method you said, it's fairly easy. i will use BP/SF 50/50 mix, becouse it is good for fuses. before i sprinkled that mix on 2 cm wide tissue, and rolled, but that wetting is probably better. i will probably add small amount of dextrin on wet paper, then bp and roll, becouse i do not have NC laquer. gonna do some tests and will found out! thanks again, it's a wonderful idea.