APC Forum

My Shell Pasting Machine

Dean411

This is a shell pasting machine I've been building the last couple of weeks.

there are also a few videos on my youtube page and a link below.

please comment or ask questions .

post-11493-0-82500200-1355355860_thumb.jpgpost-11493-0-25964100-1355355897_thumb.jpgpost-11493-0-35634100-1355355927_thumb.jpgpost-11493-0-73094500-1355355976_thumb.jpg

this entire machine was custom built and except for the motors and the roller wheels it is completely made of Aluminum.

please ask questions or comment.

Dean

you build some cool stuff, Dean!

How are the breaks, have you tested? Also, how did you deal with the tape wetting dilemma present with these sort of machines?

Real neat. Just got to make sure it always stops with the wetting / glue dispenser at the bottom. Are you reinforcing the shells on the north / south poles when you make the shell casings, or do you hand paste the ends a little, to cover the "hole" ? And how do one use 2 (or more) time-fuses with a machine like this, one on each end?

B!

you build some cool stuff, Dean!

How are the breaks, have you tested? Also, how did you deal with the tape wetting dilemma present with these sort of machines?

Hunter ,

I fired the 4" that was pasted in the video and will post it to my you tube when I get it from my brothers phone

it was a red pvc red gum bound it was boosted with whistle and after this pasting looked like a 6 and was unbelievable how much of the sky it filled .

as to your other question right now i am using gummed tape right now the tape enters a container that has a water soaked sponge then exits quite damp . i plan to use glue here soon (working on it right now)

Dean

Edited by Dean411

Real neat. Just got to make sure it always stops with the wetting / glue dispenser at the bottom. Are you reinforcing the shells on the north / south poles when you make the shell casings, or do you hand paste the ends a little, to cover the "hole" ? And how do one use 2 (or more) time-fuses with a machine like this, one on each end?

B!

the pole of the shell where the fuse is requires no pasting it gets covered quite well i do put a little hot glue back around the fuse to make sure the fuse didn't get loosened during pasting the top of the shell gets about 6 pieces of kraft tape to cover the top that gets missed .

as for the multiple fuses i have made adapters for 5" ,6" and 8" shells that fit around the 2 fuses (that the nice thing about engineering something you can make changes on the fly)

the machine currently will do 3 thru 8 inch shells.

cool! I'm interested to see how larger shells fare, normally not so well for this type of paster. If you get the big'uns to work, you're onto something.
  • Like 1

Nice clean bit of engineering Dean. A glue station with 3 rollers will coat the tape on both sides and add some tension. For larger shells you`ll need multiple angle and speed changes during the pasting process to prevent an egg shaped shell. The alternative is to use the wasp magnet idea for the fuse and re-orentate the shell for each pass to distribute the build up around the shell. If you can make a tape slitter you can make your own custom tape widths, much cheaper than buying gummed tape,

Here`s the glue unit i came up with, it has 3 fixed rollers and 2 spring loaded which add tension and wipe the excess glue off.

post-10522-0-11545800-1355370301_thumb.jpg

Edited by Col

The machine does multiple angles the arm the shell mounts to pivots I will post another video and the motor speeds can also change.

Here are a couple pictures with the shell on its seam

post-11493-0-87158000-1355394343_thumb.jpgpost-11493-0-23740200-1355394404_thumb.jpg

This machine is a work in progress and everyday I am tweaking it so it does what I need it to.

Edited by Dean411

Tweaking is half the fun ;)

For a 4" shell, you should get a fairly good result with 3/4" tape and 0.635rpm on the shell rotation motor. Setting fractional rpm isnt too easy but it should equate to about 94-95 seconds for a full rotation. The chinese wheel pasting machines use a 30% overlap for larger shells.

post-10522-0-26234600-1355397305_thumb.jpg

Sweet! Nice work Dean411.

Is that a recycled bicycle rim?

Hi Dean

I did some calcs based on your estimated wheel speed in case you want to give it a whirl. I dont know what pole diameter you have so i went with 15 degrees for the starting angle, 45 degree intermediate and 75 degrees for the final angle. These are for a 4" shell using 3/4" tape.

1st wrap: 15 degree angle, shell rotation speed: 2.6rpm, duration: 19.11 seconds, then make the first angle change over 4 seconds (shift frame down by 30 degrees). The 2nd wrap shell rotation speed change coincides with the completion of the angle change.

2nd wrap: 45 degree angle, shell rotation speed: 1.9rpm, duration: 27.5 seconds, then make the second angle change over 4 seconds (shift frame down by another 30 degrees) The 3rd wrap shell rotation speed change coincides with the completion of the angle change.

3rd wrap: 75 degree angle, shell rotation speed: 0.88rpm, duration: 68 seconds. Use the same speed and duration for the burnish run.

Edited by Col

I will give that a try Col I am Waiting on more 3/4 tape which seems to work the best for all the shell sizes I have tried. I am curious what you averaged my rpm to be the pasting wheel rotates at a fixed 30 to 31 rpm. the axis motor is variable.

the only real issue I have is the tape wetting I am currently using water soaked spongeswhich the tape passes between in the gray case but they run dry fairly quickly,otherwise the machine preforms better than i hoped for.

I am sure I will modify orredesign it as I have alreadycome up with 2 other designs I may try in the future but for now i am quite happy with it.

Dean

Hi Dean

Yep. i estimated it at 30rpm, The shell rotation speed is a little harder to set with a slower wheel speed as the range is only 0.5-1rpm across 2"- 8" shells for the final wrap. If you run 100rpm on the wheel that increases to 1.5-3rpm. It would be cheaper to do most of the testing with a dummy shell painted white. Lash a water based marker to the 1st wiper to indicate the centerline of the tape. There are a few ingenius designs knocking around and they all have plus and minus points, most use single axis pasting for simplicity. The single axis doesnt create too much of a build up on smaller shells but it may have problems with an 8" with 220-240ft of tape.

Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions I am making a couple changes currently and hope to add a new video soon.

Dean

• 5 weeks later...

Here is a slightly updated version of my shell paster. The video is of a 5 inch shell being pasted.

the pattern is much better now

Dean

If I am right this is much like one of those Chinese machines. Can this one paste with time fuse in place?

EDIT: Never mind I saw the video.

Edited by pyroshell

That last shell looked rather wrinkled. Is that what happens when the tape/glue dries completely?

My hats off to you! Great job. It looks very similar to the one Cols working on. I love the simplicity of it.

My hats off to you! Great job. It looks very similar to the one Cols working on. I love the simplicity of it.

I prefer mine even over the W. A. S. P. no need for a computer and they can be fused before pasting, not to mention I've only invested about $200.00 and most of that was for the 2 gearmotors

Dean

Here is a pasting of a 3" shell with 1/2 kraft tape.

I will Post some video of the breaks from these as soon as the wind dies down , high winds for the last 4 days here.

Dean

This is an absolutely amazing machine. Looking forward to seeing the shells, pasted with this machine, in action.

Again, great job.

Looking good!