APC Forum

My homemade wooden ball

Pirotecnia

nice ball and nice finishing too.....what material used for wood??

Really nice work. I like that guys instructional style, I got hooked watching a few of his videos. Looks like you could make some of those balls up pretty quickly by using a hole saw in a drill press. Very cool method.

nice ball and nice finishing too.....what material used for wood??

Hi,

I used pine wood.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My newspaper hemisphere made with the wooden ball..

post-11355-0-66457600-1356444864_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

wow....!!

they sounds identical.....

nice work....

did you used wood glue or something other??

I am using the same technic but insted of wooden ball I have got heavy duty plastic ball,and when i am in hurry i don?t paste paper layers single by single,i gently apply thick layer of news paper paste rubbed with wheat paste and dry them for four days and cut them...

thanks.

wow....!!

they sounds identical.....

nice work....

did you used wood glue or something other??

I am using the same technic but insted of wooden ball I have got heavy duty plastic ball,and when i am in hurry i don?t paste paper layers single by single,i gently apply thick layer of news paper paste rubbed with wheat paste and dry them for four days and cut them...

thanks.

Hi,

I'm using wheat glue only.

Thanks!

this is my method

Very nice method too.

It's like recycled paper.

Just be real careful with the hole saw in a drill press... I can see a lot of cut fingers here. If you're turning them by hand at least you'll have better control.

This is where making a resin ball( maybe bondo, etc) may prove to be worth its weight in gold. A cast can be made, and your ball would be much stronger and should last longer than wood.

Hmm. This has me thinking of a semi-finishing tool. If you have access to a metal lathe that is.

Chuck up a length of that pipe and true the ID/OD and face the end. Now cut a 65 degree bevel (measured from perpendicular) on the inside of the lip of the pipe. If you're using a mild steel for this, case harden and temper. Now carefully hone your shiny new circular chisel (I'm thinking applying progressively finer grit wrapped around a small piece of round stock and carefully kept at the desired angle using the tool holder of the lathe). ????? Profit! Have fun!

A finishing tool could be made in the same manner, but with standard round stock, a shallow concave face, and then just cut some pieces of sand paper to create a tidy conical sanding surface and paste in place.

Edited by KGBSquirrel