APC Forum

Long tail silver willow stars compositions.

pyrowinner

Long tail silver willow stars compositions.

Before so many years I made above silver willow stars using realgar (with very elegant result), but as everyone knows that realgar is so expensive, poisonous & rarely available so I left off to make above stars & forget its formula also, I tried KClO4+Al with changing the ratio of Al & its size but not satisfied with the result & effect.

So Now with request I ask to our APC members that have any ‘’Long tail silver willow stars compositions” without realgar?

Edited by pyrowinner

@Algenco

Used KNO3+Al+C+S & including some more components but as I mentioned above that not remember their Proportion, sorry.

:) But I hope that very early we’ll find realgar_less formula with same effect & which will useful for all our APC members & others.

Edited by pyrowinner

silver glitter ? info taken from Winokur's 40 Glitter Comps

A silver glitter with fairly large flashes and a medium short tail. No more than 8% water can be used when

mixing. The low usage of expensive metals makes this a very cheap formula ideally suited for comets.

Winokur #25

Potassium Nitrate 52

Sulfur 17

Charcoal Airfloat 10

Aluminium, Flake, bright -325 mesh, 36 micron 6

Sodium Bicarbonate 5

Iron (III) Oxide, red 5

Dextrin 5

not sure if this is a willow ether

Silver shower star #3

Source:

Comments:

Preparation: Add water and proceed as usual.

Flitter Aluminum (or any grade except the finest pyro grades).....15

Potassium nitrate.................................55

Boric acid........................................2

Fine charcoal.....................................10

Dextrin...........................................5

Edited by laserkoi

:) Thanks to our APC member WonderBoy who sent me the video clip in between our chatting, this is similar to ‘Long tail silver willow stars composition’s effect ‘.I’ll just try his composition first & then post here after its proper result & satisfaction of effect, but before request to see the clip & post here your compositions with the effect if you had achieve the same result. Eagerly wait for you positive reply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN57UVimbgo&feature=youtu.be

Edited by pyrowinner

here is the formula found me on web but I havent tried it.

silver willow star

KNO3-45

80 mesh ato.aluminium-22

400 mesh ato.aluminium-22

sulphur-3

airfloat charcoal-8

dextrin.-5

use boric acid.

another formula works great for me but it has a medium tail

KNO3-5

S-1.25

airfloat charcoal-0.5

fine ato. al-0.25

-80 mesh aluminium turnings-3

meal powder-0.25

1 year old lime powder-0.5

boric acid- 1 percent of total weight.

precautions-do not bind with wateras lime powder heats the composition.

I personaly bind the stars using 1 egg per 200 gm of composition and press stars between my fingers.

the star size must be 1/2 inch and best suited for 6 inch shell

prime them with bp.

I really dont know why my grandpa used lime powder.

@swapnilsutar

Your first formula’s effect is very close to ‘silver palm–tree’ (see clip). Because of its nice result this composition I used from couple of years, but hard to ignite without the thermal prime.

Found clip from web.

And your 2nd formula mainly use in fountains, lime powder (Calcium hydroxide or chalk or POP) add for Thermit reaction of compositions to increase the brightness intensity of Al flitter.

Edited by pyrowinner
  • Like 1

@laserkoi

Winokur #25 is a gold glitter & second one formula is generally used in waterfall effect, we can adjust it in stars with the changes of size & shape of Al, but because its high percentage of oxidizer the tail effect is become short, After all Thanks.

Edited by pyrowinner
  • Like 1

@swapnilsutar

And your 2nd formula mainly use in fountains, lime powder (Calcium hydroxide or chalk or POP) add for Thermit reaction of compositions to increase the brightness intensity of Al flitter.

Thermite reaction is an exothermic oxidation-reduction reaction which contains a metal powder (aluminium, magnesium, titanium, and others) and a metal oxide (iron (II, III) oxide, copper (II) oxide, and lead (II, III, IV) oxide, and others). The reaction is also called the "Goldschmidt reaction" or "Goldschmidt process".

So it is not clear to me how old lime powder (calcium hydroxide) makes a thermite reaction.

Well when calcium hydroxide is heated (by thermite perhaps), water is driven off to form calcium oxide--which could then progress with a goldschmidt reaction. Whether this is what happens or not...eh?

Thermite reaction is an exothermic oxidation-reduction reaction which contains a metal powder (aluminium, magnesium, titanium, and others) and a metal oxide (iron (II, III) oxide, copper (II) oxide, and lead (II, III, IV) oxide, and others). The reaction is also called the "Goldschmidt reaction" or "Goldschmidt process".

So it is not clear to me how old lime powder (calcium hydroxide) makes a thermite reaction.

With the Presence of lime powder (calcium hydroxide) in above composition is burn then thermal decomposition or thermolysis or endothermic reaction occur in which decomposes calcium hydroxide into calcium oxide and water, & that thermal heat glows the Al to its highest point or we call it 'increase the brightness intensity of Al flitter'.

And also in our traditional fireworks used lime powder or chalk AKA chuna (calcium carbonate) with some types of fountains for obtaining good result.

Edited by pyrowinner

That makes no sense what-so-ever. Converting calcium hydroxide to calcium oxide takes in heat. It will rob heat from the reaction, and will not make things hotter. Secondly, calcium is higher on the activity series of the metals, so it will not be reduced by aluminum or magnesium into calcium metal. It sounds like it's added out of tradition and not reason or usefulness. There will be no thermite reaction. It kind of doubt if it makes anything brighter, but certain oxides are good white body emitters, so it's possible.

Thanks Mumbles for your clarification but I disagree with the point that it's added out of tradition and not reason or usefulness.

I tried out a lot on such compositions with or without calcium hydroxide to ensure the actual purpose of using the same and now I do believe from my experience that it is mainly used as burn rate inhibitors and coolants for smooth burning of the composition in a fountain.

There is a rumor that it makes lime light during burning of the composition but I noticed no such appreciable flame brightening with it and I think it is hardly possible for calcium oxide particles to maintain such high temperature to show candoluminescence after ejecting from the fountain. I embedded a video to show my findings.

http://youtu.be/i5IAe438x4I

After clarification from our 2 pyro genius on above topic I request to APC members for continue your posting of ‘’Long tail silver willow stars compositions”.

After all thanks to Mumbles & BengalFlair with expecting more valuable information of above stars, I like healthy discussions in APC forum.

• 5 weeks later...
pyrowinner please mention that formula given by Wonderboy, i just cant wait.....I also need to try out that and also need to collect required material for that.