APC Forum

colour change in burst overlap

madmandotcom

hi, i was at a professional display over the weekend and saw an interesting burst where 3 shells were launched simultaneously and when the burst, they were TT, however, in the overlap of the burst, there was a colour change, and only in the overlap was the colour change, i have been wondering ever since, how the heck did they do that?

also, on an unrelated note, do you think that displays should be symmetrical or asymmetrical?

hi, i was at a professional display over the weekend and saw an interesting burst where 3 shells were launched simultaneously and when the burst, they were TT, however, in the overlap of the burst, there was a colour change, and only in the overlap was the colour change, i have been wondering ever since, how the heck did they do that?

also, on an unrelated note, do you think that displays should be symmetrical or asymmetrical?

Both depending on the shell type and design. I like ball shells to be mostly symmetrical but I rarely see a canister shell that is truly symmetrical and most are heaving inserts in rings which are certainly symmetrical as rings but not as spheres.

-dag

It's art, so it's a bit hard to call different ways of doing things right or wrong. Having said that, I personally get sick of seeing display operators lighting (2) visco fuses when they have no idea what the shells are or how they may look together/on top of each other.

I like to pair some shells up, yung feng assortments come in boxes with two of each shell. If you tie these shells together and fan them out, you can put two like shells up with symmetry and IMO it looks like you know what you are doing. There's a good example of how symmetry can be used.

Like Dag said, cylinder shells are different, they are multi break and IMO, designed to look good by themselves. Most modern displays are set up with more shells but most are single break ball shells. This changes the set up and the whole game to some degree.

Both symmetry and asymmetry have their place in a display. It all depends on the artistic effect you want and both are appropriate. It would be awefully boring if the whole show was mirrored without any variation. Good show design uses the sky from the ground up and from left to right. When you have the space, depth from front to back can be used very effectively as well.

I don't see how that could be possible, it would require a very narrow vertical band of color changing stars on the sides.

The shell would have to be loaded with those sides facing each other and the shell would somehow need to be prevented from turning/spinning in the air.

I just don't see how thats possible

is it possible what you saw were Ghost shells? That's the only thing I can think of that might give such an illusion

That really sounds amazing! Im glad someone finally posted in regard to the color change. It would be great if you had a video that we could dissect. You don't happen to know the name of the company that put on the show? Or if you don't mind sharing the location, it could be back tracked to find out. If we know where it was, we could search youtube to see if someone else got a video. ie "somewhereville firework show 2012" very interested to see..

• 1 month later...

hey, sorry i haven't been here in a while, computer issues, what are you referring to when you say ghost shells?

this was the lighting up the albany skyline event and i am unable to remember the name of the company, i didn't have my video camera going sorry

Edited by madmandotcom

Amazing video Mumbles, the star rolling have to take time and patience :o

I don't know, but maybe the effect madmandotcom saw was caused by peanut shell, the two shells can at least not turn relative to each other

By the title I thought you guys were talking about those color burst ( as in the actual burst charge) , but it seems like you guys are talking about something different.

Sounds like an inner petal that had a thick coat of dark prime so that it didn't show itself for a while.

Edit: Never mind, I misunderstood your description.

Edited by NightHawkInLight