APC Forum

Ultimate Header?

Blackthumb

Your favorite "reactive target" mix, small water bottle/]1/4" time fuse/blasting cap/1 lb motor....

post-10839-0-76353000-1354385129_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blackthumb

I have seen side by side comparisons of this method with a regular salute. A small salute with also trigger the target mixture. I didn't notice a difference in the volume, but the thump in your chest. From the AN mixture was better.

but the thump in your chest. From the AN mixture was better.

Did you witness this in real life?

Is it worth the extremely dangerous hassle with the blasting cap?

I witnessed a comparison between the different salutes first hand that is why I know how they felt, but had nothing to do with their construction. I do know in the ones I saw, the AN mixture was triggered by a small salute and not a blasting cap.

What is extremely dangerous about a commercial blasting cap? Thousands are used on a daily basis without issue. Now if it's something you cooked up in your garage I would be hesitant.

I just wish it was possible to get commercial caps easily.

Some primary explosives are not that dangerous even if homemade. Paradoxically lead azide is one of the more sensitive ones. They chose it for commercial blasting caps because it is stable to store it for many years. There are some that don't store so well but are both less sensitive and perform better (no, I won't tell which they are).

I think we sort of ended up on blasting caps since nobody wanted to call BS on AN "salutes". We pretty much all know there is no "salute" that will get AN to detonate, so it pretty much has to be a primary explosive in there. The thing is, most, if not all the primary explosives that can be obtained easily are so darn sensitive i'm not convinced they'd make it through the launch.

Anyway, i guess the AN "mixture" doesn't really have to be a HE, but i cant really remember any salute formulas including AN.

B!

I think we sort of ended up on blasting caps since nobody wanted to call BS on AN "salutes". We pretty much all know there is no "salute" that will get AN to detonate, so it pretty much has to be a primary explosive in there. The thing is, most, if not all the primary explosives that can be obtained easily are so darn sensitive i'm not convinced they'd make it through the launch.

Anyway, i guess the AN "mixture" doesn't really have to be a HE, but i cant really remember any salute formulas including AN.

B!

sure there is, seen it done numerous times

25lb AN/Al was detonated at a club shoot using a commercial 1.75" salute as the initiater

I've saw several canisters/ball shell salutes that used this method.

not worth the effort in most cases

Edited by Algenco

Shimizu Thunder no. 3 or potassium perchlorate+potassium dichromate+magnesium is all that you need for a good report :)
  • Like 1

Shimizu Thunder no. 3 or potassium perchlorate+potassium dichromate+magnesium is all that you need for a good report :)

yep, no need for all the other stuff

I like Thunder :)

Yep, I was there. Saw the blades of grass lay down and just grinned!

And yes, AN salutes are not worth the effort.

sure there is, seen it done numerous times

25lb AN/Al was detonated at a club shoot using a commercial 1.75" salute as the initiater

I've saw several canisters/ball shell salutes that used this method.

not worth the effort in most cases

Aren't you glad they were discouraged from using 100lb :)

Yep, I was there. Saw the blades of grass lay down and just grinned!

And yes, AN salutes are not worth the effort.

Aren't you glad they were discouraged from using 100lb :)

Yes, and I was a little worried when they moved past me to be further away....

Yes, and I was a little worried when they moved past me to be further away....

I was in the campground, close enough

Thunder #3!!!

For what it's worth, the blasting cap talk came about from the original post where it is specified.

Anyway, you guys could could just stop making baby salutes. The formula does not matter one bit outside of economics when it's a 10lb bottom shot. :)

This is an AN based salute, around a pound IIRC. It was initiated with normal flash, not HE's. Made another salute for the ground range with the same AN stuff later that week, but it's not that exciting to watch, hardly even puts out any light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJRIC36LCSs

Edited by psyco_1322