APC Forum

How to make colored firework stars, then make a ball shell or a cylinder shell with stars we made

Raggytosh97

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a tutorial of how to many any color stars just any colored stars does not matter what color with a good demonstration on how to make them, i have been looking over youtube and on the internet i just could not find a tutorial. Also the next thing will be how to make the ball shell or a cylinder shell with stars we made. i am a newbie in this so i really need help.

I would probably be wanting to make a 3' to 6" shell.

All i need is someone to give me a tutorial in

*making coloured firework stars

also

* then making a ball shell or a cylinder shell with the coloured firework stars that we made.

if anyone can get back to me ASAP that would be great!!

Thanks

No offence, but i don't think you will be spoon-fed here... Knowledge doesn't come with a how too manual. Search, read, filter junk, collect, and succeed. There is no easy, fast and cheap way when making fireworks.

Its cheaper to cut your pyro teeth with charcoal stars, coloured stars are more expensive ;) If you need to know how to make a shell, its probably better to start with something a bit smaller than a 3" - 6"

As ivars21 suggested, skylighter is a great resource for those interested in creating fireworks. I would highly suggest searching around on the link that ivars21 shared. Their under "Project Plans", has many great articles that covers a wide variety of different firework categories and how to begin constructing them. I suggest you getting very familiar with that website it you want to start putting shells in the air. Good luck and use at least one dummy shell before shooting something with powder!!! :unsure:

displayfireworks1 ( youtube ) has a wealth of knowledge, i learned a lot there, some of the experienced members here have made tutorials on ball shells and cans.

For ball shells i recomend rolling stars, this wont be easy first time.

For cans i would use cut stars which makes life easier.

I agree with col about cutting the teeth, i made nothing but charcoal stars for two years until i mastered ( sort of ) the tecniques needed, before it gets wasteful or dangerous jumping in the deep'end, and then i recomend the veline system, cheap, easy versatile, no point having the best blue stars if you cant do them justice with your building skills.

Making charcoal, bp, burst, qm, will keep you busy for a while, familiarise yourself with the materials and their properties before you go to build a shell.

If you take a look in member tutorials you will find what you want to know.

Dan.

Edited by dan999ification

you'd better make list of chemicals accssible to you then study about their properties and imcompatiblities then an only start with smaller shell,avoide chlorate based composition unless you are familier with it.

good luck..

you'd better make list of chemicals accssible to you then study about their properties and imcompatiblities then an only start with smaller shell,avoide chlorate based composition unless you are familier with it.

good luck..

good luck..

Edited by Mumbles
We don't support literature piracy here.

We're definitely here to help, and welcome people into the hobby. There is some requisite amount of work needed to be done by the individual though. I'd suggest taking things step by step. The first step is nearly always to get yourself setup with a quality BP source, whether making it or purchasing it. This will be the basis by which nearly all pyrotechnics is based on in one way or another. Making it is cheaper, and more rewarding in my opinion. If you can make good BP, you can easily make good charcoal streamers and glitters (with a few more chems). From there, you're well on your way.

Mumbles please can you add me on skype if you can add me then we can have a skype conference that would be excellent. My skype name is Raggy.Mughal

Thanks

What seems to be the big hurry to make fireworks?

My question still stands.

There is plenty help here if you apply yourself to it.

Well i have always wanted to make fireworks, also i have my sons birthday party coming up i want to make a small display

No.

edit: sorry, I read that as "in time for the party". Yes, you can learn to make shells but it will take time. The best way is to join a local club and learn from them. Begging to be spoon fed, will not get you help.

Edited by nater

http://www.skylighter.com/2-inch-firework-shell-kit.html

That's where I started. You can have shells built the day you get the kit. Be careful, make sure you stabilize your mortars so they don't fall and fire your shells in an unsafe direction, and DON'T put any body parts over the mortar. Also be careful not to keep your can of black powder any where near the area you are shooting. You may want to buy HDPE mortars and build yourself some nice stable racks. Here's a good resource for that.... http://www.pyrodirect.com/ Once you have an idea how everything works, you can start making your own stars. It's lot's of work and you can spend lots of money. .....and if you're not careful you can get in lots of trouble or worse, hurt someone. Take baby steps.

You could make a decent small display with fountains and few saxons easily enough. If you have time constraints you`ll struggle to master the various techniques involved with making and lifting a shell. Do you have a ball mill?

Starmines are a great way to go for small displays. I usually blow off a few 1" and 1.5" starmines and comets in the front yard whenever we have guests over.

@raggytosh97 We don't know the chemicals you have available nor do we know your tools or more important, your skill too make anything needed for shells. Although i would not like to discourage you in your efforts to obtain an home-made shell or even smaller simpler devices, based on your posts it doesn't look like you're getting anywhere on a short term. On the long term, we can help you out on many issues, but not this one. It takes a whole lot of knowledge and experience to make shells 100% by yourself. We will be willing to give you a hand, but shells are just not something you can build ''by occasion'' For your future wishes and questions, we will be able to help you. But first read and learn. It takes time. A LOT of time.

I couldn't get a good break or consistently avoid flowerpots for about a year of shell making. I mostly stuck to starmines and roman candles. Flying fish fuse mines are a great way to get started! They were my second pyrotechnic project, after making BP. And they're really cool, I still do them! Edited by AirCowPeacock

Well i have always wanted to make fireworks, also i have my sons birthday party coming up i want to make a small display

i would not reccommend you use your own made fireworks for a childs birthday party ( i am guessing he/ is young ) i think you would be better using a few commercial fireworks for this event .. safety first . would it be worth the risk ???

i am quite new to this too . . there are to many ifs to a shell if you have'nt got the experience.

these are just a few of the questions i ask my self before i even think about letting a firework off .

1. are there any compatibility issues with any chemicals I have used ?

2.. is my firing tube of the right quality for the firework i intend to fire ?

3. have i got enough delay fuse to get me to a safe distance in time ?

4 . is the lift powder strong enough to get the shell to the correct hight ?

5 . is the shell strong enough to survive this blast with out a flower pot ?

5. .is the delay fuse the right length ( too short =dangerous low break . too long = a potential ground break at an unknown location ) eek ??

these are just a few of the questions i ask my self before i even take any firework out ??

now let me say welcome to a wonderful hobby . you just have to progress in small steps .1 by 1 and you will soon reach your goal .

Where are you located?

Download the Turbopyro .pdf and read it. Then decide if it is something you want to do. Then pick a couple projects and get.the necessary chemicals. I would start off with charcoal and glitter stars because they are cheap and pretty easy to.get to work right. You can make a lot of different things with just potassium nitrate, sulfur, charcoal, and some cheap atomized aluminum.

Check out the sticky at the top of the pyrotechnics forum for the Turbopyro download.