APC Forum

Pinky media in ball mill

pyrosailor99

Hi all!

i've milled Na Benzoate and Red iron oxide in my ballmill.

now i washed the jar and the ceramic media (HD alumina) with plenty of water and made 5 minutes of turns with the jar full of water, media and a few of glasses detergent.

Unfortunately, as expected (as with anythinh that get in touch with Red iron oxide) , the media ar still slightly pinky. they are not strong pink... but they are not 100% white as in origin.

i don't believe that pink will ever go away so i'm wondering if i can stil use that balls for other chems like oxidixers etc.

Is fe2o3 strongly incompatible with any chem?

i'm sure that the total fe2o3 mass present on the pores of my media are in the scale of milligrams so i think they won't cause problem also if i should use that media for icompatible mixes... but i ask a confirmation to you that already used fe2o3.

thank you!

Msybe try milling some sawdust or charcoal. I think you will be ok because iron oxide isn't incompatible with much to my knowledge. And it isn't gritty or a sparking hazard. I think you will definitely be fine if you only use it for BP. Always assume you will never completely get things clean and only use a jar for compatible chems. Get multiple jars for different things to be safe. A piece of tape or permanent marker with a list of milled items on the end could help prevent an accident.

Msybe try milling some sawdust or charcoal. I think you will be ok because iron oxide isn't incompatible with much to my knowledge. And it isn't gritty or a sparking hazard. I think you will definitely be fine if you only use it for BP. Always assume you will never completely get things clean and only use a jar for compatible chems. Get multiple jars for different things to be safe. A piece of tape or permanent marker with a list of milled items on the end could help prevent an accident.

Thanks!

i will follow your advices, but i think that using different jar for the pourpose you described have not too much sense...

i mean that if i mill only combatible chems in a jar, this wont warrant anything...

put the case in a jar i mill some chlorate, then i mill some charcoal.

well, now charcoal could be contamined by chlorates and this make my charcoal incompatible with many other comps with sulfur...

So have a list of chem on the jar won't help to mantain things compatible. only help to avoid to mill incompatible chems in the same jar.

anyway i got my answer. Fe2O3 isn't gritty or a sparking hazard.

Anyway i invite any other that know something about to share as i would wait also the confirmation of someone else for safety reason.

thanks again!

I use seperate 3" od x 6" tall wide mouth hdpe jars for milling single chemicals like na benz . They dont take a lot of media and it saves having to wash them out.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a limit for when it's no longer a risk. Unless your a believer of homeopathy, and have faith in magic water. In that case, never use anything for anything else then the chem of it's first use. Cleaning out a milling jar leaves traces of what ever you had in it. Milling something else in it makes this something else pick up traces, but also dilute them. The likely hood for anything to be in as high concentrations to cause a problem is slim, unless you "forget" to clean the jar in the first place... Still. Use multiple jars to keep stuff that don't agree with one and other away from one and other.

B!