APC Forum

computer power supply for making (per)chlorate

taiwanluthiers

Can anyone help me clarify something?

I noticed that an ATX power supply have +5v, -5v, +3.3v, -3.3v, and +12v.

Which one do I use for making (per)chlorate? I assume I connect the +5v to the anode and the common ground to the cathode?

Usually only the +5 output has enough current capability to be suitable for electrolysis. It's a fixed 5v and you will need to do current control by added resistance or electrode spacing adjustments. Lots of info on hacking computer psus is available on the web, they are a good cheap source for project work.

PC supplies work great and are cheap, and the 3.3 and 5 volt lines are good for chlorate, but at least the perchlorate runs I've done have required more voltage to get current density, IIRC 6 to 7 VDC. The 12V line would be too high. So for perc, at least, the 5V might be a little bit low. This can be corrected with close electrode spacing.

Usually, surplus 5VDC switching supplies up to 50 to 100 amps are pretty cheap on eBay, and most of them have a little trimmer potentiometer in them that allows some adjustment, usually between 4V and 6V, and these would be nice for perchlorate.

I made all my perc with the 5.2V of a comp power supply, had no issues with that as far as I am aware of.

I would love to have a better power supply but was looking here in Europe for one on ebay and other sites and could not find cheap ones.

I found a lot in the US, the problem is that shipmentcosts for power supplies to Europe are massive.