APC Forum

Revolutionary New Way to Cut Paper Tubes

californiapyro

Hello APC,

I have just debuted a new product, a no electricity, no hassle, under $40 way to cut paper tubes. They work very well, and you can view the product and video here:

http://fireworktools.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=18

Any feedback or questions welcome :)

-Hunter

www.FireworkTools.com

This is pretty similar to how a copper pipe cutter, or industrial paper tube cutters work. Do you find that the tubes compress at all on the ID from this? Copper certainly does. If it happens, putting a piece of wood or metal inside the tube first usually will fix that problem.

Neat. Does it have replacement blades? The problem with cutting glued paper is it dulls an edge pretty fast. I use a PVC pipe cutter. It works well but I have to take the blade off and re edge it every 10-15 cuts depending on if I feel like fighting with the tube or just slicing through. Mumbles is right about the wood dowel inside. That would help so that you didn't have to do the two handed hold at the end.

thanks guys!

Val, i don't think so on the pizza cutter ;)

Mumbles, due to the inelasticity of the tube, it doesn't deform, but the cut is cleaner with a dowel, as stated in the video.

Short, the blades are specially made and will do 100+ cuts before becoming dull. I will add replacement blades to the site soon, though. I haven't done it yet because no one needs theirs replaced yet ;) coming in the next few days.

If the cutting wheel is similar to a rotary knife, you can get a sharpening tool. I use one of these for cutting tubes and a multitude of other materials including stainless steel. You wont find one for $40 though :)

post-10522-0-33463700-1352867275_thumb.jpg

Edited by Col

The blade is 28mm, you can get a sharpener for about $12.00 or buy new ones from Cali. The new ones are sharper than you can resharpen them yourselves.

This cutter is worth every dime you spend on it, there is no kerf and no ragged edge.

-dag

Edited by dagabu

thanks Dag :) The blades I sell will be no more than $8, depending on how cheaply I can get them. I expect to have it all sorted out in a couple weeks.

My pleasure, I will do video of the cutter soon, it is the best solution I have seen so far for cutting paper tubes.

-dag

I have 5 coming in this week to fill those orders, and another 5 next week :)

• 2 weeks later...
I received the tube cutter last Friday and it's a very effective, yet simple design. Best of all, it works great! I've used pipe cutters with mixed results, miter boxes, and a scroll saw with deck. By far this is the easiest of all of them to use. Tried it out with both a 1/2" and a 3/4" NEPT tube and it cut fast, clean, and more importantly...square! Love it!

Glad you like it! Thank you for your order :) I have been using mine for the past few weeks, it's indispensable in my shop now.