APC Forum

glucose syrup

THEONE

Everybody knows how important is glucose syrup for making sugar propellant...

So out of curiosity and experimentation i just wondering if you can made your own glucose syrup with common materials...

I tried a mixture of 22% water and 78% table sugar over a pan till dissolves the sugar but it fails...

Everybody knows how important is glucose syrup for making sugar propellant...

So out of curiosity and experimentation i just wondering if you can made your own glucose syrup with common materials...

I tried a mixture of 22% water and 78% table sugar over a pan till dissolves the sugar but it fails...

Glucose is a simple sugar and table sugar, or sucrose, is a complex sugar. If you want to make your own glucose syrup, see if you can locate dextrose and make it from that. If I understand correctly, they're the same thing only dextrose is the dry form and glucose syrup is the liquid form.

There are other simple sugars that can be used, also.

WSM B)

The stuff you want is made from corn starch (and some other plant starches), you really cant make it at home without some extravagant set up and great cost or some pretty hazardous chems like Muratic Acid. It's a lot cheaper to just buy it from the grocery store but be aware that you DON"T want the High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Frankly, I don't use it since I don't make Bates grains anymore. I simply grate it to a rough powder and press it just like a BP rocket. It works very well.

Hydrolysis

Glucose syrup can be produced by acid hydrolysis, enzyme hydrolysis, or a combination of the two. Currently, however, a variety of options are available.

Formerly, glucose syrup was only produced by combining corn starch with dilute hydrochloric acid, and then heating the mixture under pressure. Currently, glucose syrup is mainly produced by first adding the enzyme α-amylase to a mixture of corn starch and water. α-amylase is secreted by various species of the bacterium Bacillus; the enzyme is isolated from the liquid in which the bacteria are grown. The enzyme breaks the starch into oligosaccharides, which are then broken into glucose molecules by adding the enzyme glucoamylase, known also as "γ-amylase". Glucoamylase is secreted by various species of the fungus Aspergillus; the enzyme is isolated from the liquid in which the fungus is grown. The glucose can then be transformed into fructose by passing the glucose through a column that is loaded with the enzyme D-xylose isomerase, an enzyme that is isolated from the growth medium of any of several bacteria.

-WP

I tried this to use invert sugar once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_sugar_syrup

It worked a little but also increased the hygroscopic nature of the propellant due to the fructose.

If you are using the dextrose syrup to make the propellant workable I think it is easier to just increase the ratio of sucrose and don't cook it until it is bone dry. I typically use a ratio of 60/40 with very little loss in performance. You will have to do a strand burn test to see how fast it burns.

Also red iron oxide makes so you can leave even more moisture in the propellant to push the envelop even further. Last if you are making the skillet candy don’t epoxy the propellant into the grain. Instead make a syrup out of the sugar you intend to use in your propellant and paint the inside surface of the inhibitor with this syrup. Let the syrup dry in a warm oven and when you load the grain the little bit of extra water in the propellant will bond to the dry syrup layer. Very cheap and easy to do.

Look here http://www.chefeddy....1/invert-sugar/

Or just try this experiment to see if it makes a workable propellant. Take 40 grams of table sugar, some water, a splash of lemon juice and boil for 30 minutes. Then add 60 gram KNO3 and cook until the propellant is done.

Fantastic!! What is really interesting is that my wife makes this for drinks and baking but I had NO idea that this was in any way similar to what we used in R-Candy rockets. She uses equal parts of sugar and water, adds a "pinch" of Cream of Tartar and boils it at 237 degrees F for 25 minutes without stirring it at all and then lets it cool at room temperature.

We have a bottle of it in the fridge right now for Mojitos... Go figure!

BTW- I use the same method to un-crystallize honey that is no longer pourable but I don't use the Tartar, just the heat.

Brilliant, just brilliant!

-dag