APC Forum

Absolute minimum glitter moisture.

usapyro

I was reading around and found that Lloyd Sponenburgh recommends as little as 2.5% moisture for dextrin bound glitters when pressed into comets at high pressure.

What is the minimum practical for rammed comets? Eg, just taking a pvc tube and a hardwood dowel and ramming the comp like you would a BP rocket grain. I am thinking about 3% moisture should work and that is what I am going to try for D1. Probably is a little dependent upon the composition and it's charcoal content.

I have realized something recently... My best water moistened glitters have always been made on the east side of the coastal mountain range(dry side) in winter in a 70f room, and not the west side. On the west side the humidity in winter is around 95%+ all of the time. I am not even joking...

If I place a bentonite clay nozzle in the shed out of the rain it will disintegrate within a few days. If you spill water on the ground in the barn on the concrete it won't dry for a couple days.

I am going to give water bound glitters another shot instead of this expensive PVB(Butvar) resin. Works, great, but expensive... $14.4/lb + Shipping if ordered in 5lb amounts.

Butvar > http://talasonline.com/ Product > http://apps.webcreat...ProductID=17099

Pressed to high pressure with very little moisture I should be able to get the drying time down with a fan and slightly elevated temperatures. Winter temps being around 50f I should be fine with 70f.

95%+ Humidity is a glitter killer for those who live in what are basically subtropical rainforests...

Edited by usapyro

Ramming is not going to compress the comet as well as a press. Even if you can approach the same pressures, you can't approximate dwell time. You very well might need in the ball park of 6-10% to get them to hold together well enough.

I use 4% water/IPA for pressed D1 tails, 6% for C6,C8 and TT. They still take a while to dry completely considering they`re not that damp to start with.