APC Forum

how high can reach core burner rocker 15 mm id

superspike23

hi,

i bought a rocket tooling on internet .

This model:

http://www.pyrogarage.com/img/tools/cb15_1.jpg

15 mm core burner.

it is possible to reach a high altitude?

we can use smaller sticks if you add a weight down?

it is difficult to estimate the altitude of the video.

but it looks to be more than 60 meter.

I will also make rockets for the new year.

Because I do not have enough mortar tubes.

But I ask myself, can I use rockets for a show with enough security for the observers?

I'd say it's well over 100 meters. It has no header, of course. It's just a rocket motor on a stick.

Mortars are safer than rockets. The only accident that can happen with mortars is that a shell will explode in the mortar or just after leaving it. Rockets might change course etc, but I think that the risk is pretty small, if you turn the rockets away from the audience.

It depends on your location and some on the weather during the show. In the US rocket use during public displays is uncommon due to the increased fall out and risk of errant flights. 1.3g rockets are available though and I have used them a couple of times during private shoots with no issues except for the falling sticks to pick up.

Ok ,

What fuel should I use To achieve optimal prevention as the rocket changes direction?

For I can start making fuel

Edited by superspike23

If it is a standard BP spindle, use 60-30-10 BP.

In the USA, that would be a 5/8" BP coreburner set or 8oz. The end burner set has only 2 rammers:

http://www.pyrogarage.pl/img/tools/eb15_3.jpg

Coreburner set:

http://www.pyrogarage.pl/img/tools/cb15_3.jpg

With this design and Nates 60:30:10 suggestion, you can make a BP rocket that will travel in excess of 1000'. I launched a few hand fulls last weekend of them.

Good luck and remember to post video!!!

-dag

i'll post the video of course :)

I burned the hand at the moment and I think it's pretty serious.

I'll have to wait to finish my tests.

I received today my rocket tooling.

Unfortunately I could not try it because the tubes are too short

.post-1567-0-83525100-1352488639_thumb.jpg

post-1567-0-37169700-1352488693_thumb.jpg

You could probably use straight 75:15:10 if you make it a nozzle-less motor. They are a little more forgiving when ramming and have nearly the same lifting abilities.

When I have time, I will try a 19mm coreburner with 75:15:10 but with the charcoal in the form of ~400 micron grains. I have seen one very skilled guy do that with success. It will give off nice big sparks.

75/15/10 would probably be fine if it's just a screened mix, if it's ball milled it may be a little too hot. i've lifted a 75g header to around 50m with simple 60/30/10 screened mix and the same spec motor without a header has flown to around 80m on this pretty tame mix.

It's probably worth making up small quantities of 60/30/10, 70/20/10 and 75/15/10 and doing some back to back tests, it's quite fun pretending to be scientific about it and you'll get a good feel for what kind of fuel works best for you. sometimes a hotter mix won't necessarily lift much higher because the fuel grain burns out faster but as there are so many variables you'll have to try some experiments. (that's why i love rockets!)

Post some videos if you can!

I have never seen an benefit to using coarse charcoal, I'd just use airfloat. If you use coarse charcoal in the formula, it won't burn the same, as it doesn't use up as much oxygen. Plain airfloat will still give a nice tail, if you want, add some Ti or FeTi to the delay section. With nozzle-less, you can usually run really hot fuel, which 75:15:10 is about as hot as is gets.

Yeah, screened is just fine, no need to ball mill your rocket fuel.

Edited by psyco_1322

I have never seen an benefit to using coarse charcoal, I'd just use airfloat. If you use coarse charcoal in the formula, it won't burn the same, as it doesn't use up as much oxygen. Plain airfloat will still give a nice tail, if you want, add some Ti or FeTi to the delay section. With nozzle-less, you can usually run really hot fuel, which 75:15:10 is about as hot as is gets.

Yeah, screened is just fine, no need to ball mill your rocket fuel.

Agreed, adding just 1% too much of coarse charcoal can dramatically reduce the thrust as the large chunks of C eat up thermal energy getting lit as the motor burns. I will say that you can get very nice charcoal tails if you use small portions of C in nozzled rockets but for whatever reason, nozzleless rockets suffer dramatically in spark production over nozzled rockets so the addition of Ti as Psyco says above can add a nice tail with little or no appreciable difference in performance. 1% is usually fine for me and I will go as high as 10% with fast BP.

-dag

as my tube only 10 cm, I can use only the first 2 rods?

And then I removed the tube and I close with bentonite.

That's sort of odd they don't sell tubes to fit their tooling. If their tubes are in fact 10cm long, their tooling looks quite out of proportion. The "standard" in tooling is to have a spindle which is around 7xID long, and use tubes with are 10x ID so about 12.5cm in this case. The spindle under these conditions would be less than 9cm. Even with a 1ID standoff for the nozzle, the spindle should still be around the height of those tubes. The fact that it appears to go at least 2-3cm beyond that is bizzare.

Perhaps you should contact them and see what size of tube their tooling is designed to use.

You prolly need 6" tubes to gain enough space for the delay and top bulkhead (if you use one). Seems reasonable as typical 1/2" coreburners use a 5" tube,

Just the other day I made a 14mm ID x 40mm core burner sugar rocket. I just ballmilled 65:35 KNO3:Sugar for 24 hours and rammed it into the tube using homemade dowel tooling. I reckon the little rocket went at least 200m high! But then I tried a 20mm ID x 100mm one using the same fuel, but the fuel is way too fast so it CATOed :( Tonight I'm going to launch another little one with a 2" tigertail shell on top

But then I tried a 20mm ID x 100mm one using the same fuel, but the fuel is way too fast so it CATOed :(

i have this problem

ballmill just 2 or 3 hours your rcandy ;) it's work for me

Hehe, I tested a 3/4" today. The last bit I rammed in some lift powder instead of the 60:30:10. I should have known better. It was some CATO. Sounded like a gun shot :blush: