APC Forum

Add a Ti tail to stars like ruby red/emarald green and similar ones

dangerousamateur

Hi,

I'd like to have colored MgAl stars with a Ti tail.

What kind of Ti would you use for this application and how much?

My prefered star size is 14mm, in this case cut so my starpump does not get hurt.

ti sponge, 20 percent and you wont see much colour but the star becomes a good carrier for dumping lots of ti, 10 percent and the tail is obviously less dense but some colour remains.

I personally make the comp ( veline ) split in half, add 20 percent ti sponge around 100 mesh to one half, add acetone to both ( 35 ml per 100g ) then make a pattie and layer the other on top, this way you get good colour and good tail.

Typically with cutting the more ti you add the faster the stars burn so over half inch stars is fine for 3 inch shells and mines ( i find )

dan.

Got vids of said stars.

1/2" stars in a 3" shell no matter the burn rate would look sparse as hell.

I find the real secret is to accurately size your Ti. Using 100 mesh or smaller is asking for awful colors and short tails. I use a cut -40+60, and get good tails at 10% with minimal color disturbance. Certain colors like blue and purple are more sensitive to Ti and are more easily washed out though. My purple with added Ti appears more magenta.

I like to use meal + Ti mix and roll that on top of whatever color comp I use. That way you get a tail and then color at the end. Obviously this would only work on rolled stars...

1/2" stars in a 3" shell no matter the burn rate would look sparse as hell.

I know. But i prefer comets. I don't like stuff that burns so quick, I want to enjoy it for some time.

I like to use meal + Ti mix and roll that on top of whatever color comp I use. That way you get a tail and then color at the end

That's a good Idea, perhaps the Ti even helps ignition, but I really want a red or green star with tail at the same time.

So you guys say sponge is better. OK. I will try that. I've got sponge with about 300µm/50mesh, I hope it will do, it's the finest I got.