APC Forum

questions to perchlorates/magnesium or magnalium composition

val77

I have read that magnesium with an oxidant such as nitrates and perchlorates could keep shortly

or I want to keep maximum 1 week

knowing that sodium nitrate is hygroscopic I wanted to know how to avoid the reaction to sodium nitrate/magnalium and to keep the

also, how to mix chemicals to flare composition? flash powder method or others ?

Edited by val77

differents...

60% barium nitrate, 40% mg +2% mineral oil

sodium nitrate and do a 50/50 mix with magnalium,

barium nitrate 50% magnalium 50% 2% huile minérale

KNO3 45

MgAl 45

Red Gum 5

Dextrin 5

Aluminum (20 micron; atomized)....................40

Potassium perchlorate (24 micron).................30

Barium nitrate (150 micron).......................30

White

25.5% Magnesium

34.5% Potassium Nitrate

34.5% Barium Nitrate

5.5% Binder*

Red

29.1% Magnesium

19.4% Potassium Perchlorate

34.0% Strontium Nitrate

14.6% PVC

3.0% Binder*

Sodium nitrate - 48 %

Magnalium (~80 mesh) - 45%

Dextrin - 7 %

These look alot like flash comps. I would diaper mix them. Ive heard of whistle mix + mineral oil being mixed in an antistatic bag.

ok but the ignition is not modified with the mineral oil ? Edited by val77

These look alot like flash comps. I would diaper mix them. Ive heard of whistle mix + mineral oil being mixed in an antistatic bag.

ok but the ignition is not modified with the mineral oil ?

I think the mineral oil acts as a lubricant reducing friction conerns. Dont take my word for it.

Mineral Oil and/or Vaseline are phlegmatizers and modify the burn rate some, allow for much harder fuel grains and protect the grain from humidity to some extent. It also helps keep the fuel grain from cracking when it is 'relaxing' after being pressed. Of course this is only in relation to whistle fuels and I have no idea what it would do with any other comp.

-dag

Edited by dagabu
  • Like 1

I'm aware thats the purpose of the mineral oil, but would it not reduce friction too? I dont think I would normally want to mix whistle in a plastic bag.

A lot of these flare compositions come from military literature. They tend to use castable resins to make these formulas. I believe polyester was popular for a while. As they've moved on to better formulas, PVDF is becoming a popular one in more current formulas I've seen.

I'm aware thats the purpose of the mineral oil, but would it not reduce friction too? I dont think I would normally want to mix whistle in a plastic bag.

Mixing whistle with a phlegmatizer in a bag is ok as long as its wet, you have more time because the solvent cant evaporate.

Sure, mineral oil was one of the first synthetic engine oils and does a pretty good job of lubricating. Mixing WET whistle in a plastic bag is superior to any other method hands down IMHO. There is no way it can pick up a spark since a static charge can't build up in that environment, the shock hazard is all but eliminated due to the fluid and the flammability is greatly reduced as well.

Shortly after I watched a video of 500g of whistle blowing up in a plastic bag and destroying a blast shield, I wanted to test the blast of wet whistle in a bag. The result was a burn of about 1 second and no explosion or percussion. I feel it is much safer to wet mix in a baggy than in the open.

-dag

Edited by dagabu

500g of whistle blowing up in your face is probably as bad as a stick of dynamite blowing up in your face... I don't think you can survive it.

Hey, is this 'self confining' phenomina actually detonation? These seems to be somewhat of a touchy issue in pyrotechnics--if flash dets or not that is.

i have tested a small part of flare composition (2 gramms) with mineral oil

perfectly work !

Edited by val77

Adding dichromate to compositions containing magnalium or magnesium can help in some instances. However, it's no substitute for properly treated magnesium. Because these are all nitrate compositions, you might want to look into coating the Mg with linseed oil.

yes i have a protection glasses

and I mix all the time outside home

Edited by val77

You need atleast a dust mask. I use a pretty slick filtering resperator. It cost me 20$. I also mix in my fumehood sometimes--solvent, coldness of outside, not having to wear my resperstor or goggles. You need gloves too.