APC Forum

1.5'' In Comet Pumps / Puck Pumps

TheArchitect23

These Are My Latest Lathe Items, I Wish I Would Have Gotten A Metal Lathe Long Time Ago.

The First Of Many Creations To Come. I Currently Have 4 + 1 1 new

post-11311-0-94663400-1351560213_thumb.jpg

Machined From 6061T Aluminum Solid Bar Bored Sleeve And Solid Plunger.

Has Grips On Plunger.

The Sleeves Are 3'' Tall. 1/4'' Wall.

Plungers Are 4'' Tall Solid With Grip Lines.

Comes With Rubber O Ring

These Should Be Used In A Press, However You Can Also Ram You're Comets Or Pucks With A RAWHIDE Or RUBBER Mallet.

Fits In Most Press's That Accommodate 4'' Throats ( It Also Fits In The 69.99 Harbor Freight Mini Hydrolic Press )

$54.99 $30 shipped Per Set. This Includes Packing Material And Delivery Confirmation.

View In The Agora, feedback welcomed

Edited by TheArchitect23

I have a comment on these - hope you won't take it as criticism. If a comet press has a stop, you generally press an excess, then push the plunger through to the stop and cut off the excess composition, then eject the comet. That way all your comets come out exactly the same size and burn for the same time. I don't see a stop on these tools. You could put one on by drilling for a short pin that hits the top of the sleeve when there's 1.5 inches of space under it, but you'd have to be able to pull the pin out to eject the comet.

Other than that, not a bad price. Everyone should have one. A rack of 1.5 inch comets going off all at once is a fine sight, though they sure do use up a lot of composition.

• Like 1

Agreed, thank you for the feedback. i am waiting on my mill to get set up so i can cut a channel in future sets.

These are "prototype" pumps. For users who just need a standard " adjust as you will " application. Or want to make their own thickness commets. hence the Or Puck.

If you are wanting to make 100 comets for 1 show, i'd wait for the 2nd gen ( unless you have patience ) unless you want to make a mark on the plunger.

All in all, any profit made from these sets is reinvested in tooling and material for future projects. Plus experience.

As of right now there is one set left new.

While waiting for a mill you could just drill an 1/8 in hole threw the pump at 1.562 which would give a comet 1.5 thick and 1.5 long

They sell 1/8 inch stock at most hardware stores. Otherwise very nice.

Dean

Peret, this is absolutely true for comets when filling a shell or other applications where you're mass producing them. However for larger, single fire comets, it's not as big of a deal to weigh out each comet. If you're firing a few volleys of them, this is probably not an issue, but if you're filling an 8" shell with them, then you might want to have a pin.
  • Like 1

While waiting for a mill you could just drill an 1/8 in hole threw the pump at 1.562 which would give a comet 1.5 thick and 1.5 long

They sell 1/8 inch stock at most hardware stores. Otherwise very nice.

Dean

I Am Working On One Tonight, I'll Post A Picture Soon.

Alright everyone. this thread and the agora thread is closed for this tooling style.

0 left on hand. I will now be working on a newer design and a cavity pump style. Thank you to those who ordered, enjoy :)

• 3 months later...
Yo bro, is seen Ur post on ebay and still debating if I should buy the 11/16" comet pump because thas perfect size for my 3/4" tubes.but I was also wondering if u could custom machine other size pumps. I need 7/16" if possible for my 1/2" tubes. Lmk bro.