APC Forum

Google Earth and Maps for planning locations

MetalNeko

Hey guys,

I just started posting on this account, but I posted a decent bit back in 2006+ before the forums were revamped, so some older members may remember me as Skwissgarr, so let's get to it.

I've noticed that I have been using Google Earth for a long time for finding good barren locations for doing pyro tests. Do any of you guys use it for this? It's a great tool when you live in a city and want to find locations outside city limits to test your pyrotechnics safely.

If you don't use google earth, do you use anything similar, and if not, how did you stumble upon your pyrotechnic testing grounds?

Google Earth works well for the clubs I belong to as well. The scale on the bottom left matches up with my MM scale on my screen so I can do a fallout zone in seconds.

-dag

We use Google Earth extensively before meeting with a potential client about a professional show. It is great to get a rough idea for setback and show layout before you visit the site for the first time.

As for your other question, I shoot and test in legal ways. No shoot and scoots, clubs are great for testing pyro safely.

I unfortunately like in a pretty suburban area. google maps is my best friend, we find many open places in safe areas, i even picked up a garmin handheld to tell us the way back to the roads. its worth it from a safety point of view.

• 1 month later...

Like it or not, many of us are restricted to shoot and scoots for a lot of the time, I can shoot perfectly legally from my own property but not too often as I have an

agreement with my neighbours and don't want to piss them off. I've used google earth quite alot for searching out good shoot locations but it's worth checking the site out from ground level before taking anything live out there to shoot, you'll often find that if you can spy out a nice spot for pyro on google earth, then other people will use it for other nefarious purposes, and my be regularly patrolled by the local constabulary.

Like it or not, many of us are restricted to shoot and scoots for a lot of the time, I can shoot perfectly legally from my own property but not too often as I have an

agreement with my neighbours and don't want to piss them off. I've used google earth quite alot for searching out good shoot locations but it's worth checking the site out from ground level before taking anything live out there to shoot, you'll often find that if you can spy out a nice spot for pyro on google earth, then other people will use it for other nefarious purposes, and my be regularly patrolled by the local constabulary.

the complaint I get from neighbors is I don't shoot enough shells.

They complain that by the time they get to a window or outside it's over :)

When I need to test shells my Wife calls them so nothing will be missed

ok ok don't rub it in! :D