APC Forum

Sodium Silicate?

fred815

Does anybody out here still use sodium silicate to seal/reinforce/flameproof anymore? Seems to have fallen out of use or isn't talked about much. And I don't see it in the pyro stores much anymore??

Does anybody out here still use sodium silicate to seal/reinforce/flameproof anymore? Seems to have fallen out of use or isn't talked about much. And I don't see it in the pyro stores much anymore??

Sodium silicate solution is used in "retro" pyrotechnics, such as the hard white cement used to secure tubes in wooden bases, or with dyed sawdust to coat smoke balls and such.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

I`ve used it on saxon tubes to slow the vent burn through, it definitely makes a difference. I make small batches using silicon beads (dessicant) and caustic soda.

Yes, I use it on all my Z-bombs. It works well like Al says, to keep the vent hole small.

-dag

I use it to reinforce the holes on stingers and saxons. Have also used the "retro" method (tips hat to WSM) to fix cardboard tubes to wood bases.

BTW- I have about 1/2 gallon left, does anybody want some? I can sell it off in pints if you would like, say $5.00 a pint plus shipping?

-dag