APC Forum

Hydrochloric Acid Reactions

Minecraftundead

I attempted to use Google for this but I failed. I have been wondering if hydrochloric acid reacts with any of the following:

Iron oxide

Potassium Perchlorate

Gunpowder

I just want to be safe, and I apoligize if this is in the wrong section or if I'm asking to simple of a question.

Edited by Minecraftundead

What is it you're planning to do that involves hydrochloric acid with any of these substances?

That is to say those substances shouldn't be mixed with hydrochloric acid because I can't think of any possible reason to do that in pyrotechnics. I think hydrochloric acid will react with iron oxide to form iron chloride, and with potassium perchlorate it will form perchloric acid which is very dangerous if it comes in contact with anything organic.

Edited by taiwanluthiers

It'll react with iron oxide, and I daresay something will happen with black powder, but I don't go around pouring acids on stuff, unless I really don't like it.

Edit: Is there a sub/superscript command on this site? BB isn't working for me.

Another edit: Nevermind, should have tried HTML at the start.

Edited by Zeus

You really have got to stop posting things that are blatantly false, or that you have no idea about. Blind guesses get people hurt. HCl will not react with potassium perchlorate to form any sizable quantity of perchloric acid. Perchloric acid is a much stronger acid than hydrochloric acid, therefore the reaction will favor the weakest acid, hydrochloric acid, and the weakest base, potassium perchlorate. This reaction sort of works with sodium perchlorate, but that has entropic driving forces, not enthalpic.

What is it you're planning to do that involves hydrochloric acid with any of these substances?

That is to say those substances shouldn't be mixed with hydrochloric acid because I can't think of any possible reason to do that in pyrotechnics. I think hydrochloric acid will react with iron oxide to form iron chloride, and with potassium perchlorate it will form perchloric acid which is very dangerous if it comes in contact with anything organic.

Sorry... I didn't account for that. It was a slight bit if misaccuracies because I read somewhere that you could mix HCl with sodium perchlorate and heat it to form perchloric acid.

Sorry... I didn't account for that. It was a slight bit if misaccuracies because I read somewhere that you could mix HCl with sodium perchlorate and heat it to form perchloric acid.

You can use ClO2 (chlorine dioxide) instead of HCl (hydrochloric acid) to make HClO4 (perchloric acid).

Edited by Minecraftundead

Oh wait, no *facepalm* I read his post wrong, what I meant was ClO2 (chlorine dioxide) mixed with hot water creates HClO4 (perchloric acid).