APC Forum

How to: Charcoal Retort method

Algenco

Try taking two pieces and lightly taping them against each other up next to your ear. You might hear the sound people refer to then.

Personally, I like charcoal that is easy to reduce like you describe when I plan to make airfloat.

Try taking two pieces and lightly taping them against each other up next to your ear. You might hear the sound people refer to then.

Personally, I like charcoal that is easy to reduce like you describe when I plan to make airfloat.

Thanks for the reply, starxplor. I too like the fact that it's extremely easy to reduce my charcoal down to a powder, an absolute dream compared to the Pinus radiata I was using.

Using a paint can with lid the UK method is to punch a hole in the lid, fill the can with wood and place on a fire or gas stove hole down. After a while the fumes stink so the heater burns this, then turn the can over to hole up and light the off gasses they should burn well. when the flame goes out the cook is done, remove from heat and block the hole for half a day or more to let the coals cool without burning. If you punched the hole with a nail then drop the nail in to close the hole! otherwise use clay or mud.

fine young growth usually makes good charcoal, so, use the old log wood for the charring fire!