APC Forum

Support sleeve for inserts

Dean411

This is a custom copy of firesmiths support sleeve setup for rockets.

It is 2.375 inches long for pressing plugs in inserts

post-11493-0-14545100-1350869472_thumb.jpg

what method do you use for the inner taper of the rings?

I use CNC the taper is 7 degrees and the rings were machined as 1 piece then I parted it off in the machine to make 2 rings but PM me if you were looking for a different answer.

if your trying to make a setup thats similar and dont have CNC I can tell you to make the rings first then you can adjust the sleeves to fit .

Sorry I cannot remember if you were using a manual lathe or CNC.

Edited by Dean411

I'm using CNC, thanks, that's what I was wondering, thanks. 7 degrees seems like a pretty steep taper, is that what firesmith uses?

I used 7 myself I used the picture of the tool for my design I didn't buy one from firesmith as I haven't started rockets yet.

7 is steep but I wanted the material the tubes I use are from my work the are 25mm id and 32 mm od

My collar is 1.37 at the small end and 1.7 on the other if you make the wall to thin the part will want to spring out of spape alot more when you make it into quarters.

I also wanted it thicker for the amount of pressure I would be able to apply without distortion.

Dean

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty cool!! It took me quite a while to work through the production steps to make these supports for rocket motors. You did a nice job!

Oh.... Hunter, 1.5 degrees taper is what I use on everything (I've got the taper attachment on my lathe locked in).

-Ben

1.5 sounds more like what I have seen as standard, I am sure this works well too. Dean makes some good stuff!