APC Forum

Sulfur in Willows and TT...

usapyro

Why is sulfur added to certain Willow and TT stars?

Does the sulfur prevent unignited charcoal from falling off of the star as it burns? Because, I was suspicious of certain willow stars throwing off a certain amount of unignited charcoal during their burn...

Here is two different TT comps I dug out of my files... Anyone know if/why they behave differently?

Tiger Tail

KNO3 46.5g

C 46.5g

S 7g

Binder (Water Type) +5g

Tiger Tail

KNO3 50g

C 50g

Binder (Water Type) +5g

Edited by usapyro

It improves ignition of the stars, and to me seems to help them stay lit and burn a little better. As far as impact on the final tail or sparks thrown off, that is a little unclear.

ive got 44/44/7/5 for tt.

I belive it aids in lowering ignition temp as with bp, adds to brightness, burns faster etc, without it i think charcoal stars would fall apart quicker while burning through the air, it produces sticky slag which must help.

I have used 50/50 well near enough, the effect is quite dark with my charcoal, subtle.

Dan.

Tiger tail is actually in reference to a rising effect. If you're talking about the formula from FAST that Shimizu calls Tiger Tail, then you both would do well to actually purchase and reference the formula from the book.

I have no clue where the formula came from. It's the one pretty much everyone uses. (The Sulfur one.)

I am making my formulas a bit more... "Generic"...

"Charcoal Stars.txt >

Low Speed Burn

KNO3 35g

C 57g

S 8g

Binder (Water Type) +7g

Medium Speed Burn

KNO3 45g

C 47g

S 8g

Binder (Water Type) +6g

High Speed Burn

KNO3 55g

C 37g

S 8g

Binder (Water Type) +5g

Notes:

Ball mill compositions fully like black powder. Compositions can even be wetted slightly, dried,

and ball milled again for best effect."

From these base formulas I will branch out to testing replacing certain amounts of charcoal with different metal powders when I get time.

The advantage of having generic formulas for stuff like charcoal stars in a range is... You have a perfect feel for the range of burn speeds so if you want to slow/speed up burn just slightly you know how to shift the formula without needing testing.

Edited by Mumbles

On a slightly different topic... Has anyone here tested glitters without added metals? I wonder if you end up with subtly flashing gobs of sulfur and charcoal... hehe