APC Forum

What is the best glue for cardboard/paper tubes rolling

pyrosailor99

• 1 year later...

wait what kind of adhesive should i use? rolling parallel tubes(my paper is recycled #30)

• 3 weeks later...

wait what kind of adhesive should i use? rolling parallel tubes(my paper is recycled #30)

I have used watered down gorilla wood glue before and it made strong lightweight tubes.

I stopped making them, i just buy nept tubes now mainly because my tubes inside diameter wasn't always consistent, but that could be because i used a wood dowl to make them. ‍

Edited by royster

• 1 year later...

I know this is older but just read it front to back and see "gravy" referenced a few times? Can anyone describe what this is? I've been trying to roll some tubes after quite a few years from doing it last and so far I don't think I've found a glue that's good enough. But reading this thread gives me some ideas to try, though it would be great to get an exact "recipe" that works instead of having to redo a bunch of work that's already been done. I realize some things you have to learn yourself but hoping glue isn't one and there are some suggestions on mixtures or ready to use glue to make superior tubes???

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I know this is older but just read it front to back and see "gravy" referenced a few times? Can anyone describe what this is?

I know my gravies use starch. Could even ref dextrin?

You can roll a tough tube with waterglass. I find Tightbond Premium Wood Glue slightly diluted to do a decent job. But..I’m not ramming rockets. Well, I AM, actually..but not big ones.

I know this is older but just read it front to back and see "gravy" referenced a few times? Can anyone describe what this is? I've been trying to roll some tubes after quite a few years from doing it last and so far I don't think I've found a glue that's good enough. But reading this thread gives me some ideas to try, though it would be great to get an exact "recipe" that works instead of having to redo a bunch of work that's already been done. I realize some things you have to learn yourself but hoping glue isn't one and there are some suggestions on mixtures or ready to use glue to make superior tubes???

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I believe "gravy" is how Col referred to his super-special-secret-adhesive mix. Dextrin glues are quite commonly used for rolling paper tubes, making paper bags, cardboard boxes, etc. Typically they include some additives or special mixing procedures to achieve the desired properties (dry time, initial tack, etc). I played around with it a bit and had success using mixes of dextin and borax/ dextrin and sodium hydroxide. I don't have an exact formula to give you, I used to have a document with several formulas but can't seem to find it. There's some decent info here if you can read those tables. Something around 40% Dextrin, 1% Borax is probably a good starting point. I think a dash of soap is often used to prevent foaming. One thing to note is that this glue is often applied warm since that allows for higher solids content. Also, dextrin glues spoil so you'll want to use it quick or experiment with adding preservatives. They do store fairly well refrigerated, but they gel up when cold so you need to reheat them before using.