dragon-eggs drogenflowers

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 pyrowinner

pyrowinner

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:R/C Models, Pyrotechnics, Model rocketry, Science experiments & make intelligent friends etc………….

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

@
BengalFlair

:) Wow !!!!!!! nice & easy formula for DE flowers,Thanks.

• pyrowinner likes this

#22 dangerousamateur

dangerousamateur

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

@bengalflair: Thanks.

Have you ever tried out to make them a little bigger (and maybe use coarser MgAl too)?

And if I incorporate them in some star or comet, do you think I get away without prime?

#23 BengalFlair

BengalFlair

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

I have watched that the coarser magnalium increases the smolder phase, so longer the delay between ignition and explosion. It also decreases the ignitability with bp prime and excessive delay makes it more prone to blow blind in air.
With -200 mesh MgAl, I have got no benefit to make it larger than 1/8”as just a small part of larger granules react with pop after ignition and the other part breaks into chunks and the body remains un-reacted.
My composition works well as star core or in matrix comet without any prime but it would be better to use a thin coat of green mix to ensure uniform surface ignition for louder pops.

#24 dangerousamateur

dangerousamateur

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

My composition works well as star core or in matrix comet without any prime but it would be better to use a thin coat of green mix to ensure uniform surface ignition for louder pops.

Can you feel a difference in practice between primed and unprimed?
I think most star mixes burn not much faster than the greenmix coat. There will allways be one side that is exposed first...

#25 BengalFlair

BengalFlair

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

Yes, I experienced the difference.
I made some dragon eggs (not flowers and a slightly different formula) in the year 2010 and tested several of them after priming with green mix on the ground. They exploded with a single loud pops and satisfied me. Then I planed to use them as cores for some high MgAl based red and green stars. I thought that no prime would be required for the cores as for high burning temperature of those star compositions to ignite the unprimed cores easily. So I rolled a few kgs of red and green stars and tested some of them on the ground but I was surprised. The cores were not as loud as previously, that were with green mix priming and some also appeared with low multi pops. Then I made some 3” shells with these stars. Although the shells were marvelous with their nice break and max star ignition, I was dissatisfied with the crackling effect which did not come up to my expectation.
Here is a video one of those shells.

#26 dangerousamateur

dangerousamateur

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

How do you or anybody else explain this phenomenon?

Is it because the stars are to hot and thus make the eggs go boom early, maybe even consuming the eggs for some part?

Or is it because of one side beeing lit first, thus causing one side to explode while the other one is still not burning?

When the first assumption is right, it should be possible to put them in some glitters, charcoal stuff or maybe organic colored stars. Or fountains. Have you tried such a thing? Does the problem remain?

#27 Karlos

Karlos

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

I have not sen amateur true dragon flowers looking like from chinese or japanese factories. These stars are round and produce large spark-flowers with longer duration than yours! Granules from sieve method are not good way. Freakydutchmen neted here, that chinese craftsmans make round grains by phenolic resin-binder way.

#28 BengalFlair

BengalFlair

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

How do you or anybody else explain this phenomenon?

Is it because the stars are to hot and thus make the eggs go boom early, maybe even consuming the eggs for some part?

Or is it because of one side beeing lit first, thus causing one side to explode while the other one is still not burning?

When the first assumption is right, it should be possible to put them in some glitters, charcoal stuff or maybe organic colored stars. Or fountains. Have you tried such a thing? Does the problem remain?

Many hot primes are recommended for dragon eggs through out the web which contain magnalium, silicon or both of them. One of them from ‘pyroguide’ is KClO4-70, MgAl-20, and Red Gum-10 which is certainly a hot mixture (though I have never used it).
If these hot primes work well with dragon eggs then how would your first assumption be possible?
The second assumption sounds very possible and tallies with my experience. I think when burning touches a point of the primed egg core, the ignition spreads vary rapidly to the entire surface of the whole egg granule through the green mix prime and uniform ignition over the entire surface of the core is a condition to getting it loud.

#29 rveline

rveline

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Fireworks, music(drummer), general geeek stuff

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Ya know, you can granulete the comp through a screen, then put the granules into a bowl, spray or squirt some acetone, agitatate, and that will consolidate and round off the grains.

#30 zAZO9a

zAZO9a

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:ka'boom what else ..i love all fireworks big and small

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

awesome and trying this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users