APC Forum

Accident

dagabu

I read on the passfire website it was an accident on a ATV.

Ouch, I use to race motocross and had the same kind of injury along with three broken ribs.

Get well soon Dagabu, it only hurts when you laugh!

No jumping jacks for at least a week or two. :-)

Good time to catch up on computer and research etc.

Take Care!!!

Mikeee

I think he will still be able to light jumping jacks... :D

Seriously, though, heal well and quickly, Dag!

Dang! You all are such a great group of pyros, I love your postings and darn if you didn't get me to laugh hard enough so that I had to turn the lappy off for a while and wait for the pain meds kick in.

Nope, not a pyro injury, I was out with a good buddy scouting for places to put up a deer stand and while turning to the left, I got ejected from the ATV and landed flat on my right hip and shoulder. I was only going about 10 MPH so the ejection surprised me and caught me off guard.

I drove the ATV back to where we were staying, I didn't feel I had any other choice since I could feel shock coming on and I would loose too much body heat if I waited there.

It took six screws, a plate and a piece of donor bone and two hours in surgery to get me all fixed up. Here is a picture of the post-op results.

gallery_9798_35_7576.jpg

Thursday was a REALLY bad day for me and this is the first time I have been able to get on the computer to post anything for the past week, it will take me some time to get caught up with you all. Off to take a nap, I'm exhausted....

Dave

That had to hurt. Glad to see you up and about on the forum again, Dag.

4th July, we watched some drunken morons on ATVs doing wheelies on the dry lake. Sure enough, one of them went over backward and the ATV fell on top of him. The ATV bounced back onto its wheels and took off in a wide circle at about 10mph. It was about 15 minutes before they managed to catch it and bring it to a halt. Luckily the driver wasn't badly hurt.

Oh, I feel plenty stupid myself, I have a lot of experience on wheeled vehicles and almost never fall off and when i do, I know how to roll out of a bad hit but with age and weight, I am not as agile as I was anymore and my reflexes were lagging.

Sux getting old...

-dag

Edited by dagabu

not easy to relax when you come off, ive got so many stories but wont steal your thunder.

Look on the bright side you'll always have some ti

dan.

not easy to relax when you come off, ive got so many stories but wont steal your thunder.

Look on the bright side you'll always have some ti

dan.

Not even!! I got stainless steel, it will be removed in a year or so after the bone has completely healed.

Feel free to steal the thunder, I love good stories!!!!!

-dag

Ouch, so a second surgery to remove the steel?

-----------

Having worked EMS for motocross races, I've seen a number of similar accidents. I have decided that quads are more dangerous than bikes. The worse thing I've done on a bike is fall on the wrong side and get burned by the muffler. I broke my arm on a quad when I was 14.

My worst injuries have been from snow skiing. The first year I was in a GS league, I got outside a rut and tried to recover my line. In the process I clipped the next gate and fell doing front flips down the hill until it wasn't so steep. I had my hands out, and tore the rotator cuff on my left shoulder during the crash. No surgery yet, just therapy. I don't have a full range of motion with that arm, and the docs said even if they cut me, I will never heal completely.

The next season, on the first night, another guy crashed in a similar way that I did. We could tell his collar bone was broken as soon we took off his jacket. None of us thought it was that bad, so we bought him a pitcher and he sat in the bar watching the rest of the races that night. His wife was racing too and they went to the hospital after we were done. The break ended up being pretty bad and they did surgery first thing the next morning. He said the hospital was pretty upset at our choice of liquid anesthetic.

Ouch, so a second surgery to remove the steel?

The next season, on the first night, another guy crashed in a similar way that I did. We could tell his collar bone was broken as soon we took off his jacket. None of us thought it was that bad, so we bought him a pitcher and he sat in the bar watching the rest of the races that night. His wife was racing too and they went to the hospital after we were done. The break ended up being pretty bad and they did surgery first thing the next morning. He said the hospital was pretty upset at our choice of liquid anesthetic.

Yes sir, an IV semi conscious type with no intubation needed. You are awake but don't remember it so its a lot like regular surgery but there is no after care. I also got all Steri-Strips, no stitches or staples, one check next Wednesday and its off and running for me. Sports surgeons are the way to go man, straight shootin, no BS, push you hard and incredible healing times. I am at 90% today and can raise my arm to the horizon 180° rotation with no pain. I have been off ALL pain meds since I woke up Monday and the only pain I have is the attachment point by the sternum. That sucker may take a week or so to heal up.

I was an EMT in 88-95, I ran with a crew in Va Beach and a good 75% of the under 30 crowd died from shock, not the injury itself though the ME would put the injury as the COD. I stayed away from anything but water and kept very warm after I crashed, almost hot the entire time.

The boss is letting me work from home, Its been exhausting working for 10 hours but I'm glad I have the opportunity to do so.

-dag

P.S., I get my first adult beverage in 11 days tonight!!!

Edited by dagabu

He said the hospital was pretty upset at our choice of liquid anesthetic.

L.O.L...... I can imagine the looks and "tsk, tsk" comments he got.

I was an EMT-A back in 1975, up in Duluth, MN. ;)