APC Forum

Paris Green experiments

shagaKahn

Gleaned the forums for all references to PG and found some inspiring stuff--hope it's kosher to start a new thread and revive interest in this lately obsure comp.

Know aresnic's a big bugaboo but seriously, is it any more hazardous than antimony or chromium comps--which we all use pretty much dayly? Following the same safety protocols (good mask, gloves, small batches) I've been getting some wonderful blue stars with Paris Green.

What really got me stoked was reading Mumble's remark about how PG comps yield good blues without additional Cl donors--but they get even better with them.

Using Saran (Mumb's fave Cl donor) I'm thinking of modifying this comp:

Potassium Chlorate 70

Paris Green 20

Shellac 10

Now's when I'll show my ignorance by asking if I should just spike with 4 or 5% Saran, or should I reduce another compound proportionally to keep it totalling 100% And if so which one?

And while I'm bugging, does the oxidizer in these comps act in any way as a Cl donor? Like the AP in still another PG blue star comp--is it both oxidizer and Cl donor?

Thanx y'all for the width,

s

KClO4 and KClO3 do donate small quantities of Cl by dissociation under the high heat of a pyrotechnic flame. I would imagine due to the lower decomp temprature of KClO3 it yeilds less avalible Cl, however Potassium will be more reactive twoards Cl than Copper would anyways so the small amount ends up being practicaly neglibable. Apparently arsenic aids in the trasfer, yet I doubt the chlorate is worthwhile to consider as a Cl donor.

Thanx ACP for answering so promptly.

Another interesting phenomenon is the fact that shellac makes the comp go soupy over time (before complete drying).

Always mix to a medium paste fit to pump--but after a few minutes as the shellac decides finally to dissolve in the methanol, it turns the whole batch to soup; end up having to wait hours before it thickens up enough to pump. Forget even thinking of loading this into a star plate.

Am thinking in subsequent experiments of eliminating the shellac altogether and substituting dextrin as the binder . . .

Glad you weighed in KCl03 'cause it was your vid of your AP variant on this theme that really got me going with PG.

Copying your above formula to try next. Like it that there's a Cl donor--even thinking of varying it with Saran.

So far too dry out to test these in a shell; just out of my star gun--but your AP PG star was an amazing blue--thanx again for sharing that with us.

are you sure the shellac isn't percipitating slightly lowering the viscosity of the solution. Try adding the shellac as an enthanolic solution. I always add my Red Gum that way.

Don't eliminate the shellac, it burns much cooler than dextrin, which is why it's spec'd. If you're having problems with the comp turning to soup, let the solvent activate the shellac before manipulating it. You can do this in a ziploc bag or similar, just letting the comp rest for a bit after adding solvent. Edited by FrankRizzo