• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

#421 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 27 February 2022 - 11:05 AM

I realize it's been over nine years since Swede has posted anything. That's too bad, he was a prolific researcher and documented his thoughts and projects well. We miss him and his offerings which supported our own efforts in electrochemistry.

We wish him well in his current pursuits and hope he is well.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM, 27 February 2022 - 11:09 AM.

#422 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 09:06 AM

In my research, I sourced and obtained a nice sized piece of 3/4" thick PVC plate. I'm considering making a few BCA's (Bucket Cell Adaptors) to try, similar to what Swede did prior to starting this thread so many years ago.

My first thought is to make them round, rather than square the way Swede did, so they'll fit better on many of the bucket lids available to us and offer more space for extra fittings, et cetera, as we develop our systems. I prefer to use titanium round tubes or rods to make my electrode leads to help prevent the salt creep that tends to eat at our copper lead wires.

Thanks to Swede's innovations (see his descriptions in the blog section), I switched to using round CP titanium tubing for my electrode leads which are held in PVDF (Kynar) fittings for a perfect seal which helps solve that problem. The 3/4" thick PVC is machinable, compatible with our chlor-alkali cells and it's fairly easy to use machining taps to add tapered pipe threads through the BCA for plumbing fittings into and out of the bucket cells.

I need to make at least one prototype BCA and try it out in a working cell.

I plan to post photos here of my efforts as I progress. More to come...

WSM B)

Edited by WSM, 28 March 2022 - 08:52 AM.

#423 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 08:23 AM

In my research, I sourced and obtained a nice sized piece of 3/4" thick PVC plate. I'm considering making a few BCA's (Bucket Cell Adaptors) to try, similar to what Swede did prior to starting this thread so many years ago.

My first thought is to make them round, rather than square the way Swede did, so they'll fit better on many of the bucket lids available to us and offer more space for extra fittings, et cetera, as we develop our systems. I prefer to use titanium round tubes or rods to make my electrode leads to help prevent the salt creep that tends to eat at our copper lead wires.

Thanks to Swede's innovations (see his descriptions in the blog section), I switched to using round CP titanium tubing for my electrode leads which are held in PVDF (Kynar) fittings for a perfect seal which helps solve that problem. The 3/4" thick PVC is machinable, compatible with our chlor-alkali cells and it's fairly easy to use machining taps to add tapered pipe threads through the BCA for plumbing fittings into and out of the bucket cells.

I need to make at least one prototype BCA and try it out in a working cell.

I plan to post photos here of my efforts as I progress. More to come...

WSM B)

Recently, I dug out my table saw and the large piece of 3/4" thick grey PVC plate (12" x 48"), and cut four 6" x 6" square pieces. I'm disappointed that they weren't perfectly square (more trapezoidal) but they ought to work anyway, for prototype BCA's.

The practical reason to cut the bucket cell adaptors square rather than round is to avoid wasting the material outside of a circular shape.

My next step will be to use a router to round the edges not facing the bucket lid. The rounded chamfer will help me avoid cutting my hand while handling the hard plastic material, as well as remove confusion as to the orientation of the BCA on the cell lid.

Once I complete the basic shape of the BCA, I need to select a bucket lid to attach it to and then plan the layout. To avoid contamination problems, plus simplify compatibility issues, my thought is to mount the BCA on the underside of the lid, with stainless steel hardware coming through the lid into the BCA. I think 1/4-20 hex bolts with fender washers (all 300 series stainless steel) should work since they'll be outside the cell, with none of it exposed to the corrosive environment inside the cell.

The plan is to cut a hole in the bucket lid smaller than the BCA, leaving a flange for connecting and sealing the two parts into a single, complete unit.

I debated whether or not to use a Viton gasket between the BCA and the bucket lid, but feel the simple solution is to use silicone bathroom caulk between the BCA and bucket lid when screwing them together. The silicone sealer doesn't need to perfectly adhere to all the materials to make a good seal, plus it is easy to remove and replace, if and when needed.

I was originally thinking of using bolts in the four corners of the BCA, but perhaps eight bolts would make a better seal (four corners plus one bolt each between them, on the straight sides).

If I decide I like the plan, I'll have to make a drill guide to keep the hole pattern uniform for matching the hole pattern on the BCA and bucket lid.

More to come...

WSM B)

Edited by WSM, 01 May 2022 - 08:27 AM.

#424 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 01 May 2022 - 08:34 AM

Recently, I dug out my table saw and the large piece of 3/4" thick grey PVC plate (12" x 48"), and cut four 6" x 6" square pieces. I'm disappointed that they weren't perfectly square (more trapezoidal) but they ought to work anyway, for prototype BCA's.

I will try this size and see if it works. Another thought is if I find that I need more area for many more tapped holes (needed for extra equipment, such as sensors, access ports, et cetera), I may opt for an 8" x 8" BCA instead of the smaller prototypes I've already cut.

There are many options, and I won't limit my ability to explore them on this project  :D.

WSM B)

#425 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 09:26 AM

I will try this size and see if it works. Another thought is if I find that I need more area for many more tapped holes (needed for extra equipment, such as sensors, access ports, et cetera), I may opt for an 8" x 8" BCA instead of the smaller prototypes I've already cut.

There are many options, and I won't limit my ability to explore them on this project  :D.

WSM B)

In reality, an 8" BCA would have to be round to fit on a normal 5 gallon bucket lid, by my measurements.

WSM B)  

Edit: A square 8" BCA would fit IF the corners were severely rounded, I imagine. We'll see if and when it appears necessary...

Edited by WSM, 04 May 2022 - 09:30 AM.

#426 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 04 May 2022 - 11:32 AM

I realize it's been over nine years since Swede has posted anything. That's too bad, he was a prolific researcher and documented his thoughts and projects well. We miss him and his offerings which supported our own efforts in electrochemistry.

We wish him well in his current pursuits and hope he is well.

WSM B)

Yeah..I miss him too. Even tho I’m not much into electro. I DID clean some vintage cast iron cookware a year or so ago. Bright an’ shiny as cast can be! :)

I like smoke! On food or in the air equally well.

#427 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 04 May 2022 - 03:15 PM

Yeah..I miss him too. Even tho I’m not much into electro. I DID clean some vintage cast iron cookware a year or so ago. Bright an’ shiny as cast can be! :)

CLEAN cast iron?!! Better season it before rust gets hold!

WSM B)

• SharkWhisperer likes this

#428 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts
  • Interests:Electronics and security professional. A fair cook/pitmaster, and bourbon drinker :{)

Posted 05 May 2022 - 03:30 PM

WSM B)

Oh, was done immediately with bacon grease and a charcoal fire. :)

• SharkWhisperer likes this

#429 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 03:26 PM

WSM B)

Here’s a fun vid..a hydrogen bubble being disposed of. Look at the CRUD that came off that pan? Jeebus! 

Attached Files

#430 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 07:55 AM

Here’s a fun vid..a hydrogen bubble being disposed of. Look at the CRUD that came off that pan? Jeebus! 

Yeow! That pan was pretty nasty. I'm glad you were able to recover it.

My biggest problem was my better half storing some of my cast iron outdoors and it turning brown  :o  :angry:  :(!

The solution is to use angle grinders with a flap sander and wire wheels to remove the rust and then season them properly (and then hide them from her so she doesn't stick them outside again!!!).

I figured out something about women; they don't mind if you have stuff...as long as they can't see it.  :P  :lol:

WSM B)

Edit: And make sure to give them about 80% of available storage space that they know about!!!

Don't forget to wish her "Happy Mother's Day" (especially if you like sleeping indoors!)!!!

Edited by WSM, 08 May 2022 - 08:20 AM.

#431 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 08:17 AM

I've made a little progress on my BCA. 

First I've chosen a 5 gallon bucket and lid. The bucket is a black one (black polymers hold up better than other colors if exposed to UV light) with a black, easy to remove lid.

After cleaning up the edges of the BCA blank on the table saw, I rounded the exposed edges with a small hand-held router. That experience has convinced me I need a router table with a fence so I can do this work cleanly (no wobbly edges).

I layed out, drilled and tapped four holes to mount the BCA to the underside of the bucket lid. Next I plan to transfer the holes to the lid and drill the lid to mount the BCA. I need to figure what size and shape hole to cut in the lid for exposure of the BCA for mounting the fittings needed to complete the cell.

If I get the time to complete it, my bucket cell will be operational soon.

This is exciting, I haven't actually run a cell for a few years. I need to continue my research and round out my series of articles published in the PGI Bulletin.

WSM B)

#432 Richtee

Richtee

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 11:17 AM

Yeow! That pan was pretty nasty. I'm glad you were able to recover it.

My biggest problem was my better half storing some of my cast iron outdoors and it turning brown  :o  :angry:  :(!

The solution is to use angle grinders with a flap sander and wire wheels to remove the rust and then season them properly (and then hide them from her so she doesn't stick them outside again!!!).

I figured out something about women; they don't mind if you have stuff...as long as they can't see it.  :P  :lol:

WSM B)

Edit: And make sure to give them about 80% of available storage space that they know about!!!

Don't forget to wish her "Happy Mother's Day" (especially if you like sleeping indoors!)!!!

LOL... You, Sir have been around a turn er two. Sage advice, all of it! ;)

Edited by Richtee, 08 May 2022 - 11:17 AM.

#433 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 01:25 PM

LOL... You, Sir have been around a turn er two. Sage advice, all of it! ;)

Good judgment comes from experience,... unfortunately, too much of that usually comes from poor judgment.

WSM B)
  • kingkama likes this

#434 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 15 May 2022 - 09:40 AM

I've made a little progress on my BCA. 

First I've chosen a 5 gallon bucket and lid. The bucket is a black one (black polymers hold up better than other colors if exposed to UV light) with a black, easy to remove lid.

After cleaning up the edges of the BCA blank on the table saw, I rounded the exposed edges with a small hand-held router. That experience has convinced me I need a router table with a fence so I can do this work cleanly (no wobbly edges).

I layed out, drilled and tapped four holes to mount the BCA to the underside of the bucket lid. Next I plan to transfer the holes to the lid and drill the lid to mount the BCA. I need to figure what size and shape hole to cut in the lid for exposure of the BCA for mounting the fittings needed to complete the cell.

If I get the time to complete it, my bucket cell will be operational soon.

This is exciting, I haven't actually run a cell for a few years. I need to continue my research and round out my series of articles published in the PGI Bulletin.

WSM B)

Because my BCA is 3/4" PVC, I drilled the holes about 1/2" deep. I used a #7 drill and tapped the holes for 1/4-20 bolts. My plan is to use 1/2" long stainless steel hex bolts with fender washers to hold the BCA to the underside of the bucket lid. I decided to drill only four holes, just in the corners of the BCA. If it looks like more are needed, I can add them later, but I'll try it with just four to start.

My hope is to see less corrosion of the hardware because my design keeps them all outside the cell, and only compatible materials inside the cell. I also want to avoid having to use expensive and hard-to-find titanium hardware for my bucket cell (the original idea was to do this simply and economically, right? :whistle:).

WSM B)

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

The Bucket Cell - pH Meters and Probes

By Swede in You'll put your eye out..., on 03 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

Very cool - a "Post to Blog" function.  I thought I'd give it a try, since this post has some hopefully good information in it.

pH Probes and Meters for the (per)chlorate process

I spent far too much time on pH probes today.  Again, the idea behind the simple bucket cell is so one doesn't have to mess with pH probes and meters, but I...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users