APC Forum

The Bucket Cell - Start to Finish

Swede

baldor would you pour off the solution and use the clean stull and throw the out black ?

Edited by memo

Which pole is positive and which is negative?

The anode should have the positive connection and the negative should be connected to the cathode, if I'm correct.

Let us know.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

the mmo is positive and ss is neg

Edited by memo

If that's true, remind me of the other parameters: cell wall material, whether sodium or potassium chloride solution is used, et cetera.

The more details the better.

Stainless steel for the cathode? Do you know which alloy it Is?

WSM B)

dont know the alloy on the stainless , but it is the same onei have used for a year or more cleaned it with muranic acid . the cell it self if hdpe and i am using 350 grams salt per liter of water . it is 100 % pure pool salt. I have used the same for a couple of years. the only thing new is the mmo and a ti tube to mount it.

Edited by memo

yes i saw that post , i dont have any damage to my mmo

this morning i started over with a new batch, i washed what settled out of the solution from yesterday. it cleaned up very well. all is white crystals. no sign of the black to be seen.

memo

the new batch did the same thing only worse, it turned into a black frothy mess . my thought are that must be a bad mmo. I don't know what else it could be , do you ?

really looking for some ideas and a solution. last year I made 10 pounds of chlorate with little problems

That's strange. What other factors might have changed? Are you doing anything different or are you using another type of component rather than what you used before?

There must be an answer to this issue...

WSM B)

the ti tube i used to mount the new anode is new. it was made in the US and is supposed to be used for elctro-chemicals.plus 2 new computer power supplies .they are the same as I used before. I am running at 5 volts. my amp and volt meter does not work now. think I lest it too close to the cell.

who is a good person to buy from on ebay ? i am not impressed with the last person. i thought it was the same guy i had been buying from. or even a good lead oxcide anode would be nice. it takes 2 weeks to ship to me from the states.

i did cut my mmo in half, it was 10 inches long way to much for my cell iuse about 3 liters of liquid

Edited by memo

can anyone recommend a ebay seller that I can buy a good mmo anode from ?

Edited by memo

can anyone recommend a ebay seller that I can buy a good mmo anode from ?

I've had good results using MMO from laserred. I don't know what shipping will cost, but you can inquire and request a shipping quote from him.

Good luck.

WSM B)

I've had good results using MMO from laserred. I don't know what shipping will cost, but you can inquire and request a shipping quote from him.

Good luck.

WSM B)

can not find him on ebay, do you have a link ?

can not find him on ebay, do you have a link ?

I just checked. His eBay listings are closed. Sorry about that. Check later and see if he lists them again later on. He might be off on holiday or something.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

I looked all over ebay and then googled mmo anodes and china is about the only place to get them. takes about 2 weeks to get to florida then 10 more days to get here. what is the best cathode to run with a mmo anode and with lead oxide ?

memo

Edited by memo

I looked all over ebay and then googled mmo anodes and china is about the only place to get them. takes about 2 weeks to get to florida then 10 more days to get here. what is the best cathode to run with a mmo anode and with lead oxide ?

memo

CP (commercially pure) grade titanium is the cathode material I use the most. I've had very good results using it.

Good luck.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

Good news!

It looks like laserred has re-listed his MMO mesh. Check eBay item number: 332699421671

He also lists a sheet of CP titanium, grade 1.

See if that works for you.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

thanks for the heads up, i was getting to order from china. it now on the way. have you used the lead oxcide anodes out of china, are they any good ?

memo

have you used the lead oxcide anodes out of china, are they any good ?

memo

Hi Memo,

Yes, in fact all my LD on titanium anodes are of Chinese origin.

Since several posters here mentioned their Chinese LD anodes failing (coming apart in use), I loaded mine gently, running them at lower current levels rather than at maximum.

I had good success running them at 0.1 to 0.2 Amps per square centimeter.

As an added benefit, the ozone generation was minimized as well.

Did you see laserred's listing of CP titanium sheet, also? If you can't find a local source for titanium sheet metal, this may help your efforts. Good luck.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

i think i figured out my black water problem. I got rid of the titanium tube I used to mount the mmo and I used the second half and gave it a try. also used the uncut end of the mmo in solution. I have 12 hours run time, no black water. hope I have it figured out.

memo