APC Forum

bazooka

Rocket007

i was thinking about your air guns. a longer 2" tube maybe twice longer then a normali mortar with a nice hard plug and thick walls. a handle in the midle. them ju can only light the fuse, let the shell faling down put the bazooka on the shoulder, and then you can fire, a nice idea? will try it.

LP,Rok

why not. if the walls are thicky and you are ready on that what can happen, then i think it can be safe. for the first try maybe only 5g to a 100g shell or somethink like that!

LP, ROK

So what happens if your lift is dud and the shell falls out the end of the tube by your feet?

I have seen a video of a one inch bazooka shooting commerical shells. But come on a 2" shell shooting out, the kick and blow backs gonna be massive. And lastly i wouldn't like to think what would happen if it cato'd in the tube.

That sound like a very stupid idea to me, I wouldn't stand next to a 2” mortar let alone fire one from my shoulder. As weknowpyro said the recoil of the thing would be huge, and being a thicker mortar doesn’t mean its gunna contain a 2” shell going off, just large pieces of mortar tube to take your head off.

dumb, dumb, dumb idea.

The mortar will rip completely out of your hands when it goes off.

Your ears will be ringing, that is if your eardrum doesn't burst.

What if it flowerpots on you? It stands a chance of just blowing up right there in the tube with it on your shoulders.

Keepkool78 posted this pic a while back of a 4" HDPE mortar that's all ripped to shreds. PLEASE look at this picture before you try something so foolish and imagine that on your shoulder when it went off.

post-11-1162771085_thumb.jpg

I you like your life the way it is I wouldn't go through with this plan that you're thinking of... ;)

if you do 10 same shells and you test 2-5 shells so that the bazooka is on the ground , and all works well then it could be safe. or maybe begin with a smaler ID of the mortar 1" or 1-1/2". i think the profesional bazookas arebiger, bur are they safer, if i make the same then a profi then it must be safe!

LP, Rok

Professional bazooka's? Never seen them. I have heard of bazooka such as the anti tank weapon but they use a rocket charge not a powder charge with shell.

Smaller calibers still promote dangers. And just cause you test the mortar does not mean its safe, i had this 2" cardboard mortar used it loads and then one day to much charge in the mortar and it blew to pieces.

What would be the point in having it in ur hands? you can just point the mortar in whichever direction you want and stick it in the ground. you dont need to hold it

but if you point the mortar by a to small angle then can the mortar fall only if you make a tripod made from wood can you be 100% that it works.OK i saw now what do you think so i will change my idea, i Will make a tripod that can be moved to almost every angel and round .

LP, ROk

(will this school year make a reseach this year about rockets and shells, maybe a web site and of course i will need your hellp. i hope you will help me =), some professors from a institute will also help me (you know: with chemicals and such thiks so i will 100% send lot of videos i wil that you write the bad and good thinks . thank you :D )

Think of the "what if's", What if you spollettes blow through, what if you lift fails. And even if you make 10 shells and none of them fails, are you a 100% sure the 11th one won't fail and blow you head off. Have you ever seen footage of a mortar beeing blown to pieces, it's not a pretty sight.

That's a dumb idea and i hope you let it pass and don't atempt anything this stupid again.

sorry. you are realy angry. i will let it so relax, only somethink i will say: if nowbady will try it we dont will know it. ok thet was the last word in this topic

THE END

LP, ROK

Just something I've been wondering, but what is the point of firing the shells at an angle. If you use the mortar like you should there is little chance of the mortar tipping or launching the shell in an undesirable direction. When the mortar is pointing straight up it has 3 choices,blow up in the mortar, fly a few feet up into the air, or go a few hundred feet up into the air. If it is at and angle you have no idea where the shell is going to end up or hit. The only advantage I could see would be for shooting shells over a lake, but what if you used too much lift or too long a fuse?

Edit:oops didn't read above post :unsure:

I know you said this thread is ended, but I think the main point of fireing shells from an angle is because its cool. Which, depending on the severity of the repercussions, can be a fine motivation. I think you had the best idea with the tripod, if you can get a hold of some extremely thick Lexan, you could make a fairly sturdy barrier between you and the mortar. Kind of like the old turret machine guns that had the steal barriers. However, you still have the issue of the shell possible landing two feet from your feet. Even at a 2" shell that does not have a flash charge, I do not think you want burning material flying at you. If you can figure out a way to protect yourself (and others) from this happening, then and only then would I commence planning.

Well I am getting into this thread late, as others have said, it should be closed. I just want to say that I have read of an accident with a commercial 1.4 festival ball mortar being fired sideways "bazooka style". Evidently the tube flew , hitting a man in the chest, causing his death by a torn/ruptured aorta. In other words, the kinetic energy of that tube and base literally burst the man's heart. Put the idea away.

As far as tipping mortars, we commonly tilt racks, up to about 15 degrees *max* to compensate for wind direction and speed at commercial displays. They are still firmly anchored to the ground tho.

Tilting racks is common practice. It allows for a larger spread up in the air without needing a huge amount of area to set up. As frozen said it is used to compensate for the wind as well. It is also used for effect. Watch some of the PGI videos, nearly every show had angled mortars. The crossing of tailed shells, comets or stars from a starmine is very crowd pleasing.

now it is officially ended by means of a lock.