APC Forum

Cricket bats for willow?

graumann

Having no local access to willow and purchasing it from afar too costly I wonder if anyone who harvests willow themselves would know if the timber used for cricket bats would be any good for bp production. I've noticed that you can pick up a bat with about 1.5kg of timber for less than $5 from garage sales. This timber is trunk wood, usually from that directly surrounding the heart wood and sometimes even including this.

Wikipedia says cricket bats are usually white willow, soaked in linseed oil, the covered with a clear finish. I think the 'soaked in linseed oil' could be a problem.

Kevin

Pretty sure the bats are just surface treated with oil, I was thinking that a sanding would be in order anyhow as they are sometimes varnished. I was more seeking info regarding the suitability of the timber, which as you pointed out is the inferior white willow. How detrimental is using white versus black?

if it is surface treated with oil it would have seeped deep into the wood, i have made a few catapults from willows and it sucks any liquid in if you have dry wood, can you find other trees youd be suprised what you can use.

Dan.

I would think that much of the oil would burn off during the manufacturing process, the rest would char and effectively be willow charcoal and carbon black. For that price why don't you try one and make a small batch. If they are that cheap you have hardly made a big investment for a potential supply of useful willow.

i think it would mostly burn aswell but i prefer no contaminants in my wood or the charcoal, free is better than cheap which i dont think these are really you'll soon get hungry. There must be an alternative, i can buy charcoal cheaper than bats and i expect them to yield low unless you can control the charring temp.

Im out but you dont know if you dont try.

Dan.