APC Forum

Thoughts on an exploding target's composition

FlaMtnBkr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGU1PKmuFY

I am curious about this exploding target for a couple reasons and was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what it's composition could be.

1) Low velocity yet only contained in a baggy

2) Seems to have power of AN based target but only requires low velocity round to detonate

3) The reddish flame

Now, he says the targets were given to him to try out, but there seems to be a lot of advertising for the company in his videos. So who knows the validity of the video and maybe part of it is faked? Assuming not, here are a few of my thoughts.

If AN based, it must have something that really sensitizes the AN to make it sensitive to a .22 or shotgun hit.

If flash powder based (which I think most low velocity targets are), it has to be a hot mix to not need containment and a plastic baggie be enough.

Reddish flame almost looks like charcoal or lampblack 'fire dust'?

I make similar sized (3 oz) targets that are AN based and they seem to be similar in power. I don't think flash would have similar power, at least not in a baggie.

Any thoughts?

Mods, if you think there is a better place feel free to move it. Thought it might get the most views here.

Edit: I put the media tags around the URL so I don't know why it's not embedding the video in the post?

Edited by FlaMtnBkr

Looks like there's airfloat charcoal in the mix giving the orange sparks. I would bet many varieties of flash would touch off with that sort of power if initiated by a bullet, even a lower velocity one. Could be wrong, I've never used anything but traditional AN targets.

To embed a video the forum should do it automatically with the link only:

https://www.youtube....h?v=kfGU1PKmuFY

Edit: Huh, guess it doesn't work anymore. There used to be a button that would wrap a link with [media.] [/media.] (minus the periods) that would work also. Lets see if it works by typing that around the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGU1PKmuFY

Nope. Lets try the embed code copied from YouTube:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube....yer_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like a fix is needed.

Edited by NightHawkInLight

[media]https://www.youtube....h?v=kfGU1PKmuFY[/media]

I am curious about this exploding target for a couple reasons and was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what it's composition could be.

1) Low velocity yet only contained in a baggy

2) Seems to have power of AN based target but only requires low velocity round to detonate

3) The reddish flame

Now, he says the targets were given to him to try out, but there seems to be a lot of advertising for the company in his videos. So who knows the validity of the video and maybe part of it is faked? Assuming not, here are a few of my thoughts.

If AN based, it must have something that really sensitizes the AN to make it sensitive to a .22 or shotgun hit.

If flash powder based (which I think most low velocity targets are), it has to be a hot mix to not need containment and a plastic baggie be enough.

Reddish flame almost looks like charcoal or lampblack 'fire dust'?

I make similar sized (3 oz) targets that are AN based and they seem to be similar in power. I don't think flash would have similar power, at least not in a baggie.

Any thoughts?

Mods, if you think there is a better place feel free to move it. Thought it might get the most views here.

Edit: I put the media tags around the URL so I don't know why it's not embedding the video in the post?

This topic looks like it belongs in the HE section as a matter of discretion, if not content detail.

WSMcool2.gif

Well no formulas have been discussed yet and exploding target threads have occurred outside the HE section. I figured I wouldn't get many replies and the HE section is so slow I wasn't sure I would get anywhere. But like I said, if that is the best place please move it.

I believe it is simply amonium nitrate feraliser " prills "

and 1-2 micron al mixed in a 60-40 ratio not a 70-30

the cheap chinese blue has the same red effect because of

the slow burn rate.

This is exactly why these threads get moved into the HE section. 2blink.gif

This thread was not intended to give ratios to HE compositions etc.( especially incorrect info.)

This is not a area to just "guess" and start mixing energetic things to see if it works ..

BTW the ratios are not for exp AN targets , but flash-like mix's. Please do not post if your not putting accurate info down, or adding to the subject in a relative way. I know I risk sounding like a ass saying this , but I feel a point needs to be made. sleep.png

I believe it is simply amonium nitrate feraliser " prills "

and 1-2 micron al mixed in a 60-40 ratio not a 70-30

the cheap chinese blue has the same red effect because of

the slow burn rate.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
The low velocity reactive targets that you can purchase from Last Man Standing are simply a mix of german dark flake Al and KClO4. They diviate just slightly from a standard flash mix.

• 7 months later...

I found great USA Chemical company they are supply bulk chemicals for exploding targets and fireworks. You can contract easliy this company and get wonderful service. zombie shooting targets You can buy 50 pounds of ammonium nitrate, aluminum powder, and full exploding target bulk kits for the lowest prices on the internet.

Thanks.

Edited by mitu

• 1 month later...

I'm a hick and I like booms. What's your point? How does that make them stupid? How are your little HE experiments less stupid?

Is this share you meaningless opinion day?

• Like 1

Well now he has a few reactions. Don't forget to take a video for us of the first rocket attempt.

What's a hick??

Exploding targets are a useful way of confirming long distance hits. Rockets are useful for launching warheads. And booms are useful as mood elevators.

(Since it's "Share Your Meaningless Opinion Day").

• Like 1

Isn't that the bruise left by mouth after a night of passionate lovemaking? :P

I think that's a hick-y.

Actually, if that were the case it would be the bruise on your butt cheek caused by the gearshift during 5 minutes of sweaty lovin' in the cab of a pickup truck.

If exploding targets don't put a $h!t eatin' grin on your face you have lost your pyro soul.

If exploding targets don't put a $h!t eatin' grin on your face you have lost your pyro soul.

That is exactly right. Kinda like shooting 1.75" salutes and 3" shells. Most of have lit hundreds or thousands, but as soon as a group of pyros here the thump of the lift, they get quiet and wait for the break.

Last time we shot exploding targets, we were shooting an M1 Garand at 100 yrds. Several of us were hitting the targets with no results. Turns out mixed them up with antimony by accident.

Edited by nater

That is exactly right. Kinda like shooting 1.75" salutes and 3" shells. Most of have lit hundreds or thousands, but as soon as a group of pyros here the thump of the lift, they get quiet and wait for the break.

Last time we shot exploding targets, we were shooting an M1 Garand at 100 yrds. Several of us were hitting the targets with no results. Turns out mixed them up with antimony by accident.

Who ended up with the prized "M1 thumb"?

twaaaang, I'm out!

No thumb injuries that day, just good times. Exploding targets are fun, even more fun when you make them right.

They seem to make them right around here. Rattle the windows and they're shooting a good 2 miles away. Fun way to remove tree stumps from a field.