APC Forum

H3 charcoal question

Dean411

Could H3 burst be made with hardwood charcoal or willow as I currently have no source for hemp or paulina wood.

Would it be close enough in burst strength?

Dean

Willow goes excellent. I think 50AE even used oak for H3. He just milled the charcoal and the potassium chlorate extremely well before mixing them 2smile.gif

Shimizu talks about hemp charcoal, it's presumably charcoal made from the stalks after the buds and leaves have been harvested sleep.png

that kind of hemp is not for smoking it yields low quality and weight the plants are tall and spindly with almost no branches, it is harvested for its stalks which make cloth and rope ( and charcoal ) cannabis/hemp charcoal makes poor bp, am i right its the sugar content? Chlorate has no problem with sugar judging by the screaming jelly baby.

Dan.

• 5 months later...
i have made h3 for years it can be made with just about anything that has charcoal written on it..lol. results will very. when i started making it in the 70s it was 70-75 clorate 25-30 charcoal with 5percent dex and riced like regular blackpowder it was called compx then. compx is slightly more powerful than h3 in that respect. but i only make it with hard wood charcoal and have never seen the need to waste my wiillow on it. so you should be just fine