APC Forum

Pyrogen

ChloRure

Hi,

I started to do some e-matchs and have some trouble with the pyrogen I use... I think it's the problem.

I am using 50 gauge nichrome wire with 12v battery, nichrome get red hot instantly without the pyrogen on it... with the pyrogen it takes about 2 sec to take fires and it is slow burning.

The pyrogen formula I use right now is Meal Powder with ~ 10% german black al mixed using only NC. Then I dip it again in NC.

I googled some formula and found a couple using KCLO3 that I don't have, so I want to know what I can use to have a faster burning pyrogen.

Here is what I have that might be usefull...

KCLO4

KNO3

Mgal

Mg

German black Al

Atomized Al

Trisulfide Trioxide

Sulphur

NC

Airfloat charcoal

Thanks for any tips...

I don't have pot chlorate... maybe I should try with perchlorate and antimony.

When they ask to bind with NC... it's just to dip in nc right ? My nitrocellulose is already liquid when I bought it, not in powder form so I guess I dont need any water/acetone in my mix ?

Thanks

Keep in mind that pyrogen needs to be a very low temp mix, chlorate has a much lower initiation temp using the same chems in the comp as does pot perc. Using 50g wire and a 12v battery may not always light the pyrogen if it is a cooler mix made with pot perc or just PB.

Spend the dollar for a tub of chlorate and make the matches correctly, there is no other option with your mentioned chems unless Mum has something i am missing.

-dag

Keep in mind that pyrogen needs to be a very low temp mix, chlorate has a much lower initiation temp using the same chems in the comp as does pot perc. Using 50g wire and a 12v battery may not always light the pyrogen if it is a cooler mix made with pot perc or just PB.

Spend the dollar for a tub of chlorate and make the matches correctly, there is no other option with your mentioned chems unless Mum has something i am missing.

-dag

It's not a question of money but more about getting the stuff... All is restricted here and chlorate is a pain to get it in canada... I will do some test using higher current and various compositions, if it fail then ill try to get that chlorate.

I'd have to look it up to tell you. I think I have my copy of Shidlovskiiy at home, which should have the relevant numbers. Sulfur will definitely lower the ignition temperature. Perhaps another low melting fuel like red gum or lactose could also work in combination with sulfur.

Hmmm, I will have to try the perc sulfur comp on the next batch. I do like the chlorate match heads but to not have a need for chlorate other then match heads, I could be free of the hazards in the shop.

-dag