APC Forum

Ammonium dinitramide

THEONE

Ammonium dinitramide according to wikipedia It can be synthesized from ammonium nitrate, nitric acid and super concentrated sulfuric acid.

It sounds to me like nitration of ammonium nitrate but possibly i am wrong, has anybody any idea if it can be homemade or obtained ? It looks that it is a very good solid propellant oxidizer.

It can be made at home by a competent chemist. If you can't spend the time to do the research on this topic, I have little faith you can actually carry out the procedure safely and successfully.

Ok i was trying to add the Ammonium dinitramide into the Guipep program

I found all the necessary informations of this chemical and finally i past it at the end ot the pepcoded.daf file but it doesn't work for me.

The code was

1119 AMMONIUM DINITRAMIDE 4H 4O 4N 0 0 0 -288 .0661]

Does any body know why it doesn't work and how i can fix it ?

• 5 months later...
Sry can`t heplyou with that. But the synthesys should be manageble. But what do you wan`t to use it for? It is quite sensible to friction. Even lead azide is more stable when getting hit. Nothing you should mess around with, without the right equipment and knowledge

Why do you need it? Unless you are making caseless rocket bullets I see little use for it. For most Rocket fuels the specific impulse is only slightly higher with ADN then with Ammonium Perchlorate.

The main advantage is that the fuel burns at a lower temperature then ammonium perchlorate.