APC Forum

Rolling stars "problem"

yvariro

Hi all!

Today I've rolled my first batch of spheric stars,I think it's harder than it looks in real ^^

so, I was rollign my star with diffiulty,and i don't no why,my star comp started to granulate... and it granulate,granulate...

so I have approx. 75% of stars and 25% of granulated W#24 comp

do you think why ? maybe I have put too much liquid? (75water/25acetone)

It kind of sounds like you left the binder out. The water mix should be fine.

i start with a tablespoon of birdseed and spay the seed then i put in a tablespoon of comp. let it run till it starts to catch if it does not catch spray just a little of the water alcohol mix till it gets going then keep adding comp a tablespoon at a time becarefull not to wet it to much or you will have strs that take forever to dry outlook at my last post where others have replied there was good info in there to Edited by eb11

Thanks for your reply!

My binder in the star is homemade dextrine,and it work fine!

I will add alcool and not acetone next time,

Yes but my stars was very wet,maybe to much..

so first I have put mustard seeds,and then i sprayed,but seed beginns to stick to the barrel,so with a spoon i took of and after i put 1/2 spoon of star comp,and it worked! after some stars begunn to be 2x larger than the other...

and the comp begin to stick to the barrel... then i managed to have some stars but 25% of the comp did granulated :/

But I learn a lot! i think the next time it will be easier

sorry for my english,I didn't have the time for correct my post..

acetone will not bind dextrin, you can use the granules as cores for the next batch, it may be that you are going too fast, i like to wet the stars then add the comp not the other way round, applying water watch closely,the stars will be wet one second and dry the next, the water has gone inside comp must be added when the surface of the stars are still wet, put powder and it will now stick, let roll for a while and only when the stars look dry add more water then comp once they are evenly wet but before it hides again, its hard to explain the feel, too much comp is a killer aswell as too much water.

Dan.

• 2 months later...
I rolled an 8oz. batch of 1/2" C-8's last night everything seem to go well except it took a couple of hrs. to go from 1/4" to 1/2" does that sound right?

Yeah, that sounds about right to me. Certainly it can be done faster, but personally I like giving them plenty of time to pack down well and get a dense star.

Yeah, that sounds about right to me. Certainly it can be done faster, but personally I like giving them plenty of time to pack down well and get a dense star.

Ditto. I have trained my rolling skills since the summer, and now I roll just about 10 minutes at a time, three four times a day. That takes a couple of weeks, of course, but the stars become very hard.

I guess i'm on track then.

• 7 months later...

Hi ,

Today I have (hand) rolled my first batch of colored star comp,but all did'nt get very good,I have (handrolled already good charcoal streamers like C6-C8 Spider Web... With no big problem,

So i've made a batch of 1LB buell red,and i used 1:4 Alcool-Water. I added 10gr more of dextrin.

During rolling all was getting good but I have 20%of the stars wich are 3mm 30%wich are 5mm and the rest is 7-8-9 mm

When i was rolling m'y charcoal streamer I had no size problem,almost all the stars was fine,but here I have a lot of microstar/undersized star in the batch... :/

How can this problem happen ? Do it worse to make a star sorter or must crush them ? If I crush them,my core (couscous ) will be in the star comp,can it be a problem ?

It will be nice if you could help me to resolve this problem. :)

Greets

Édit:here are the stars

http://nsa34.casimages.com/img/2013/06/27/mini_130627080716759431.jpg

Edited by yvariro
  • Like 1

Too much water, too much comp, too fast. There are a lot of variables besides those.

Only you can really change your hand rolling skills, patience is the key.

Until your skills find you, you can screen the stars to sort the sizes and keep rolling the smaller ones :)

Dan.

Hi

Oh yes,But my rolling skills are unpredictable for the moment xD sometime,I make goos stars,sometime it fail...

I really want to have the best stars,do you think I can crush them in powder and then re-rolling them ? But the problem is that I primeds them 0,5mm (I know it's not enough) of standard BP with 10%Si and 5%Mg,will it be a problem ? Can I add 100gr more of star comp for reduce the pourcentage of prime in the star composition ?

Thanks you

Regards

You're pretty much stuck with what you have. Mixing BP into the color will probably drastically harm the final hue. You can try to "dilute" the BP with more composition, but I'd just use those in mines or something. Separating the stars into size cuts should give usable stars for a few different purposes too.

Star sorters will pay off in the long run. Your stars will burn out much more uniformly, and they are pretty much essential for color changing stars.

Okay yvariro....

first decide what star diameter you want.... then use different mesh screen to seperate your stars.....let some stars aside by screening which are already rolled with desired diameter....then roll remaining stars till you get desired diameter.....repeat this procedure......

now apply star prime on finished stars.....

Hi,

Sorry for the late of my answer,but I can't go on my computer for the last days...

Thanks you swapnilsutar1988 for your answer,but It's not worth it since i Have "just" 400gr (1LB) it's to much work for the quantity,so I've juste wetted the batch of stars,every 10mins,up all the stars becames soft,then I took a 10mm star pump,and pumped the batch(lot of work,I'll plan to buy a star plate :D ) once pumped,i put them in my star roller,re wetted them,and waited for having a spheroïdal form,and finished them with my prime

Mumbles, I've noticed that with the prime the stars was brighter but burned faster,the color did not been realy affected I put all the stars on a screen,and put water on it,the prime left with the water,so i had a very low percentage of prime in the composition :)

I surestimate myself and my skills by rolling that size of batch while it was my first of colored stars,Today I've rolled Tigertail to Shimizu organic green with no problem, I've learn a lot of this problem,thanks you ! :)

Edited by yvariro