APC Forum

Ultra ultra ULTRA fast photography

NightHawkInLight

This is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. I never even imagined this technology could be possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoHeWgLvlXI

Here's an explanation of how the camera was made:

Imagine what things you could see using this camera and an ultra high powered microscope

Edited by NightHawkInLight

That was incredible. If he hasn't seen it already, I have an uncle who would love that. Before he retired, he was an engineer and specialized in cameras and lenses. He has equipment he designed on board Voyager and other spacecraft.

That's really amazing! Excellent find, NHIL. Do realize, though, that these movies have been prettied up for popular science. Laser light is by definition, perfectly monochrome, so there's no way we would see the colors of the coke bottle or the red and green of the tomato. Those have been processed in later, probably by using the monochrome signal to adjust the brightness levels in a still photograph. The pure black and white images in the second video are probably what you would actually see, making the image not a lot clearer than an ultrasound scan. That's not to diminish the importance of the experiment, but when this gets picked up later by Nova and presented by Neil DeGrass Tyson it will create an altogether false impression in the public mind.

That's really amazing! Excellent find, NHIL. Do realize, though, that these movies have been prettied up for popular science. Laser light is by definition, perfectly monochrome, so there's no way we would see the colors of the coke bottle or the red and green of the tomato. Those have been processed in later, probably by using the monochrome signal to adjust the brightness levels in a still photograph. The pure black and white images in the second video are probably what you would actually see, making the image not a lot clearer than an ultrasound scan. That's not to diminish the importance of the experiment, but when this gets picked up later by Nova and presented by Neil DeGrass Tyson it will create an altogether false impression in the public mind.

Yeah absolutely. In edition to being color corrected it's also not yet able to film and capture a single event (opening and closing wormholes comes to mind), as the event has to be repeatable exactly as it was in order to film it enough times to bring in the required light for a visible image. It's not a perfect technology yet, but it's still an awesome start.

• 1 month later...
I was expecting to see an ordinary super-high speed camera, but this is substantially more interesting. Technology has really exploded in the last 5 years. I love how sci-fi has become sci-reality.