APC Forum

How KNO3 fash works?

Pirotecnia

Hello,

For example, if we got KNO3 flash powder inside a slightly confined tube, it will destruct it (like happens with KCLO4 flash powders) or the explosion gases tend to escape by the fragile side (for example the plugs), as happens with BP?

Thanks!

Hi,

flash powder and black powder are very different,flash powder is a breaking powder and bp is a ballistic powder,

fp is also 3x more powerfull in weight compared to bp,

so of course it will explode if you put plug at the end of your tube,

i use nitrate based flash powder,and 325meshs Aluminium,and it work great for small firecracker (and big but i dont make that) also,you can add this flash powder for a breaker boost in your shell ;)

on time i made some m80 and the plug didn't move

Edited by yvariro

Nitrate flash is on the lower end of the speed scale. Dont let that fool you though..... It is powerful stuff! Even slow flash will burn much faster than Bp when confined. The explosion is not as sharp or destructive as the standard 70/30. But, because of this it is used as a booster or break charge for smaller shells/ bombettes , etc. The light confinement will give a explosion , but it will be a deeper bang, and the volume of noise will be less. (so you need more powder to do the same work). Most 70/30 doesnt need tube plugs, even in .5g or smaller amounts , due to the fact it takes very little to selfconfine. The added tube in the way, aids in the confinement even w/o plugs. This is not the case with most nitrate flash( W/ aluminium) , (Fine Magnesium being the exception /much more dangerous). The tube will need the added confinement for this type of flash. This type of flash (nitrate)works best in larger areal salutes , and the hot 70/30 for miligram crackers etc.

Even bp will make a good explosion when properly confined, just takes more effort to properly confine bp (think spiking and pasting) than flash.

And even crap flash is a lot more powerful compared to good fast bp.