APC Forum

Magnesium nitrate

THEONE

It is possible to make magnesium nitrate out of ammonium nitrate and magnesium ?

I think Mumbles will chime in on this one, but until he does I'll try to answer. I believe not, because first of all we're trying to keep moisture out (for reasons I think are obvious), and second, (If I'm right) the mixture doesn't favor an exchange.

If Mg(NO3)2 is present, it's beyond hygroscopic (it's deliquescent, sort of like calcium chloride, i.e.; DampRid).

Now if you mix them and start smelling ammonia, watch out!!! :o

WSM B)

Might consider the nitric acid reduction of a Mag salt to obtain the Mag nitrate. Or make nitric acid with the AN and sulfuric acid then reduce the Mag salt with that ( if you dont have Nitric acid).

It is wonderful deliquescent as WSM stated . I believe this is why they use it more so in chemistry applications for that reason.

Edited by pyrojig

I belive if you find a way to make magnesium hydroxide from magnesium powder, after easily you can make magnesium nitrate with ammonium nitrate and magnesium hydroxide

Magnesium, copper, and nickel nitrate are very hygroscopic. When I see them at the chem shop they usually come in the form of watery slurry, because they absorb that much water!

Now if your worry is magnesium nitrate forming from magnesium/nitrate composition, well the bigger worry is nitrate oxidizing the magnesium prematurely, so they're usually coated to prevent this.

I'm curious why you would want magnesium nitrate? If you ever manage to make magnesium nitrate, it will be in a completely useless form as it will be totally hydrated and not have any real oxidizing power.

There is a real easy way to make magnesium hydroxide from magnesium by the way. Water is quite efficient at that step.

I really didn't know that it is so much hygroscopic.

What about calcium nitrate ?

From guipep i have found some very good oxidizers according to it but i do not know if we can obtain them

Ammonium fluoride

Ammonium dinitramide

ammonium periodate

hydrazinium perchlorate

nitrosyl perchlorate

Sodium nitrate is not much hygroscopic, i have made some with AN and Sodium bicarbonate ( baking soda)

It doesn't burn very well with sugar...

Sodium nitrate is not much hygroscopic, i have made some with AN and Sodium bicarbonate ( baking soda)

It doesn't burn very well with sugar...

I made sodium nitrate last week, using a similar method that I started a thread about, which uses ammonium nitrate and sodium hydroxide. If done properly this produces pure sodium nitrate, which burnt pretty damn well with sugar when I tested it. Much the same to its counterpart potassium nitrate, just with an orange/yellow flame.

Sodium nitrate is hydroscopic, which is why its not that great for making any comps you're planning on keeping around seeing as it sucks water out the air.

Maybe the salt i made it is not pure sodium nitrate, possibly it has got some Sodium bicarbonate or AN

How can i separate them for pure sodium nitrate ?

I have 25kg sacks of mag nitrate and cal nitrate but I dont use either for pyro. The mag nitrate has 11% N and 15% MgO (9% Mg), pricewise it`s about 50% more expensive than KNO3.

Maybe the salt i made it is not pure sodium nitrate, possibly it has got some Sodium bicarbonate or AN

How can i separate them for pure sodium nitrate ?

Depending on how much you made it might just be easier to repeat the process using the sodium hydroxide method, and make sure to use stoichiometric amounts, which worked very well when I tried it.

Its also possible that you didn't dry it out enough, I dried my powder out on the stove before I used it.

Sodium bicarb is insoluble in ethanol, but sodium nitrate dissolves pretty easily in it. Then just evaporate the ethanol off. Ammonium nitrate is only slightly soluble in ethanol, and that's at elevated temperatures, so that should get rid of most of any AN impurities you have.

Edited by ANFO

• 2 weeks later...

I made sodium nitrate last week, using a similar method that I started a thread about, which uses ammonium nitrate and sodium hydroxide. If done properly this produces pure sodium nitrate, which burnt pretty damn well with sugar when I tested it. Much the same to its counterpart potassium nitrate, just with an orange/yellow flame.

Sodium nitrate is hydroscopic, which is why its not that great for making any comps you're planning on keeping around seeing as it sucks water out the air.

ANFO can you tell me the rations of AN and SH to make SN

i found some SH and i want to give a try