APC Forum

Cylindrical Salute Inserts in Cylindrical Shells

AirCowPeacock

I make them 6-7"" long and cut them into chunks when they`re dry. You can easily make 60 tubes an hour (180 x 2" inserts).

Thin wall (spun closed end) tubes for go-getters take the same amount of effort, 100 in 30 minutes :)

post-10522-0-97761100-1347058049_thumb.jpg

Could you describe how you spin close the ends? I imagine they are...spin closed. Just can't picture it being done and reliably sealing the end.

Its very similar to forming the rose on a can shell except you crimp rather than cut the petals while the wet tube is on the former. The end of the former is slightly radiused so the edge doesnt cut into the paper. After crimping, i roll the end of the former on a hard surface at 45 degrees and gradually increase the angle until its vertical, Puttiing a bit of weight on the former when its vertical compacts the spiral folds into a solid lump.

beraq casings are formed in a similar way, i bet you can really churn these out i saw a video of a few maltese guys at a table all were producing a fair few a minute, and they have two parts, these getter tubes are nearly perfect for erm inserts with a slight adjustment.

Dan.

So when you roll the tube, I imagine you have multiple layers of paper that are pasted together and hanging over the end of the former. When you crimp you fold down the individual layer of paper against the end of the former and keep working your way around until all the paper is folded over? Does that sound right? That sounds like it could take longer than rolling the tube and could maybe be difficult if all pasted together. Once folded over, the former is rolled on a hard surface until its vertical to compress the paper and spin it some. Does that sound right?

When you say the former is radiused some, do you mean there is a slight bevel on the former? So that there isn't a sharp corner to cut into the paper?

Also, how much do you let the paper hang over the former? A full diameter? 3/4 diameter?

And out of curiosity, how thick of a wall do you normally roll for different diameters?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

Ain't she a beaut'? She's going off tonight 5 inserts which I pasted closed after putting a think paper plug in. Muchos hotglue on the fuse end too. Delay 0.4-0.7 seconds. I used yellow and TT for stars, yellow on the bottom half and TT on the upper Half between to salutes.

post-13396-0-59133200-1347285637_thumb.jpg

nice, i love the little ones, you dont see many people taking the time to make insert shells this small, they're worth evry minute to me.

Can you fit eight in there?

Dan.

• Like 1

I could fit 6, but I would have to find somewhere else to put the break. I did it just a little bit ago. It was really windy and due to the recent failures of my old cardboard 1.5" mortars I was forced to use a "1.5 inch" PVC pipe, which was actually 1.75". As a result the shell was underlifted; however every single of my salutes went off--and it was quite spectacular. It would have been so much greater if it was a windless night and it achieved the right hight. Ooh, well. It was really only a test shot for my next shell. I'm going to put that same shell in as part of a triple break w/ a Green Ascending Dragon. I might put more delay on the salutes, it would be cool to see them go off as the were falling to the ground. I'll have a video up soon. Thanks for all your help!

i fit 8 in 1.5 inch, you have to make them square with 2 at 12 2 at 3 2 at 6 and 2 at nine the vertical spiking will round them off if you have it on the corners i find 4 verts enough, and still have space for the break, it doesnt look like enough and ive never weighed it but it works, i have broken a few casings forcing them in, sliding them in as opposed to pushing them to the walls for the last one/s saves the casings.

Dan.

Edit pvc is not suitable for firing shells im sure you know that it fragments when over exerted

Edited by dan999ification

I am aware. It is only a temporary replacement. For safety I made sure there was no line of sight between where I was watching and the PVC; I put 15 feet of dirt between me and the morter.