APC Forum

PSAN

THEONE

Although not usually necessary for amateur motors, the pure ammonium nitrate is stabilized by adding 3% zinc oxide while the ammonium nitrate is in liquid form
from Nichropulse.

I've never heard of potassium nitrate or copper oxide being used, zinc oxide can be purchased from pottery shops.

Edited by ANFO

Interesting, I suppose there's no reason that a few different compounds shouldn't work, but I've never done a lot of research into it, I just took Nichropulse at their word..

I've never really seen much point in making PSAN, my rockets never go far enough to hit sub-zero temperatures..

Edited by ANFO

I've never really seen much point in making PSAN, my rockets never go far enough to hit sub-zero temperatures..

The major concerns about those various crystal phase changes (if I remember correctly) are the lowered reaction energy required at those temperatures. In other words, BAD things can happen at each of those thermal points of the crystal phase changes.

Refer to "Pyrotechnics From the Viewpoint of Solid State Chemistry" by Joseph McLain, 1980 by The Franklin Institute Press ISBN No. 0-89168-032-2. A lot of subtleties of various pyrotechnic mixtures and compounds are brought to light in this volume. The cost of the hard cover is generally between $100-$300 when found. I recommend it to those experimenting with unknowns.

A word to the wise...;)

WSM B)

I need a licence to make a motor over a d class in this country, and I live fairly close to a major airport, all my rockets are pretty small, so like I said I've never done much research into it. All my rockets are purely experimental, stuff that isn't really tried and tested. If I know it works I lose interesttongue2.gif

I need a licence to make a motor over a d class in this country, and I live fairly close to a major airport, all my rockets are pretty small, so like I said I've never done much research into it. All my rockets are purely experimental, stuff that isn't really tried and tested. If I know it works I lose interesttongue2.gif

I've made many rockets in many sizes (small to large). A great deal of my research in the past seven years has been in the very small range (< 8mm ID). I like the smaller work, since it's safer (sometimes no more than 2-3g of propellant used) and a small press (1/2 Ton) is all that's required to properly consolidate the propellant. If I have an incident with small propulsion units, it's usually alarming but not injurious. I do confine most of my research to remote sites where the work is legal (I'm getting too old to be looking over my shoulder all the time).

Have fun and don't forget to document your work. Even minor details will be valuable when your memories fade (and trust me, things you're certain you'll never forget will fade all too soon). Keep a good notebook and record as many details of your work as you possibly can. You'll be glad you did one day.

"The fadingest ink is longer lasting than the best memory" ;) :P

WSM B)

Here something that i was planning to experiment, you can also.

You can easily make Ammonpulver by 85/15 AN/C, BUT i would tell you to try 88/10/2 AN/C/Cuo as this formula has a higher Isp than 85/15

Use dry AN and mix well the chemicals, after press them or ram them... I have never try this before but i believe it will work well.

I do not know about how KN (burning surface area/core area) need to burn well but you can try.

If the thrust will be low and slow and the rocket will not fly straight cause of this try to increase the throat with more surface area - propellant to achieve a fast lift off.

Edited by THEONE

Today i was trying to make a ANCP with polyester

I melt the AN and i add a small amount of Cuo (as a catalyst)

After i make the propellant and let it dry, i put into the refrigerator to see what happens (Cause i left it to the sun for drying the polyester)

So it doesn't broke or do any change of it shape and i was wondering if the Cuo do it phase stabilized (Do the same job as ZnO)