APC Forum

my ball mill is all most done

bob

here is my all most done ball mill I don't have the bottom in yet or the motor but that should be in soon

I just have to make some more media and get a belt and then it will be done getting a belt might take a week or more though

I got the jar from pyrostuff

what do you think?

as you can see I can take out the bottom sides so the motor has some air flow

bob

post-12936-0-42018900-1346374201_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-56531700-1346374211_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-90371100-1346374220_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-37272400-1346374228_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-34080300-1346374246_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-34273200-1346374261_thumb.jpg

Gallon jar?

• 2 weeks later...

quick update

got the bottem in and the motor, just need a belt and it's done!

bob

post-12936-0-35062500-1347139862_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-68792900-1347139870_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-05220500-1347139879_thumb.jpg

well I got a belt but I'm have some other problems2sad.gif first the jar slipped like really bad and didn't turn at all, so I put some rubber around it, then the belt slipped but I got that fixed as you can see in the pictures, know with the rubber on the jar and the belt not slipping the jar does turn but not much I think it slips about 60%blush.png and I haven't heard of people having to put rubber on there jar. The only thing I can come up with is putting power to both rollers

any idea on how to fix this problem?

Thanks

post-12936-0-99872200-1347671863_thumb.jpg

post-12936-0-28484100-1347671887_thumb.jpg

Edited by bob

Rubber heater hose on the driveshafts helps. The distance between the shafts and the jar`s rotation direction can contribute to slippage issues, especially the latter. I run the 6.5L and 3.6L jars without rubber and one driven shaft, so unless your running the jar without any weight, its likely to be an easy fix. Does the motor turn clockwise or counter clockwise? Edited by Col

Yup I'm using rubber heating hose.

The motor turns clockwise. I have 19.5 kgs of media (I"m going to get a nother .5kgs) would having the roller farther apart help or make it worse right now I have them a long was apart, in my own mind I would think this would pinch the jar more and give it more grip but I could be totaly wrong on this .

Thanks so much

iirc, my shafts are 140mm center to center so they form a 90 degree angle (+/- 45degrees) in relation to the center of the jar. If you use a wider (120 degree) angle, the jar sits lower and has a tendancy to slip. If you go for less than 90 degree`s, the jar can jump/roll off the shafts 2smile.gif

Just checked and they are about 155mm center to center, its 140mm (90 degree) to the points where the jar makes contact with the heater hose.

Edited by Col

My roller were about 190mm apart. I put them closer a little less then 160mm and I put the one that isn't getting power a inch and a half up, that helped a lot with out the rubber it slipped about 55% to 60%.

This is going to sound silly but what does iirc mean?

thanks

Thanks

well I got it working turns out my mom figured it out she said to clean the hose and it worked! it's weird couse it really was not that dirty.

to bad I thought I had a bunch of charcoal but I guess I was wrong so I'll have to make some.

Thanks for your help every body

did a run 1 kg 100mins and it's really hot stuff

have to get some new pillow blocks cause they were getting kind of warm so that's comming soon

Thanks so much guys

Edited by bob

• 4 weeks later...

did some base ball tests with some 17 mesh polveron made with my new mill and it's really good

I used a 150 grams baseball and a 3 inch ID mortar

first shot I used 15 grams and got a 10.21 second flight (take of to landing)

then 10 grams got a 8.71 second flight

then 7 grams got a 7.00 second flight

then 5.5 grams got a 6.25 second flight

I think this is pretty good

bob

well I got a belt but I'm have some other problems2sad.gif first the jar slipped like really bad and didn't turn at all, so I put some rubber around it, then the belt slipped but I got that fixed as you can see in the pictures, know with the rubber on the jar and the belt not slipping the jar does turn but not much I think it slips about 60%blush.png and I haven't heard of people having to put rubber on there jar. The only thing I can come up with is putting power to both rollers

any idea on how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Bob,

when my jar starts slipping it's because the rubber hose is dirty, a damp rag applied as the roller is turning fixs it

Bob,

Are both of the rollers at the same height or is the drive roller offset? If you look at Lloyd Sponnenberg's book, you will see that the drive roller is lower and drives toward the center of the bottom of the jar. This makes use of the mechanical properties of the drive system and keeps the jar from slipping.

Belt conditioner works well to get the grip back up on rollers as well, they get impregnated with debris that cannot always be wiped off.

-dag

My roller were about 190mm apart. I put them closer a little less then 160mm and I put the one that isn't getting power a inch and a half up, that helped a lot with out the rubber it slipped about 55% to 60%.

This is going to sound silly but what does iirc mean?

thanks

Thanks

well I got it working turns out my mom figured it out she said to clean the hose and it worked! it's weird couse it really was not that dirty.

to bad I thought I had a bunch of charcoal but I guess I was wrong so I'll have to make some.

Thanks for your help every body

not sure if you just missed these postes but any way I have done the things you suggested and it worked

thanks for your help in getting it running