APC Forum

Nitrocellulose Storage in Barrels

alientime

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and I have a quick question about storage of Nitrocellulose that is used in Paint companies.

Q1) Can the nitrocellulose be stored in a stacked up cylindrical barrels (or drums), one on top of each other, with each barrel having a capacity of 100kgs?

Q2) Upto how many cardboard boxes of nitrocellulose can be stacked up on top of each other?

Why not? You can stack them to the roof if you desire.

I do hope you know the issues regarding storing Nitrocellulose though. I have had commercially sourced, rather pure NC decompose in storage on me a number of time, giving of HNO3 and nitrogen oxide fumes. Other people have been unfortunate enough to have it explode.

Nitrocellulose comes in many forms, and many with stabilizing additives don't appear to have nearly the same danger as pure, or worse yet acid contaminated stuff. I don't know what the paint companies do with the NC they use, and while I expect it has stabilizing agents, even then, Nitrocellulose does have a shelf life.

How long are you thinking of having it in storage?

The main issue with paint NC is not the NC itself, but the flammability of the solvents, so it has the same regulations as storing large quantities of say lacquer thinner or acetone. Paint NC is less nitrated than smokeless powder, has stabilizing agents and plasticizers added to it.

Thank you so much for your response...

Why not? You can stack them to the roof if you desire.

Would that be the same for nitrocellulose stored in metallic barrels as well? When I was reading through the storage of Nitrocellulose on the internet, I read that they are usually stored in fibredrums or in cardboard boxes but didnt really mention about storage in metallic drums. Would it make any difference?

How long are you thinking of having it in storage?.

I am just researching for more info on this at the moment for a paint company and not really planning to store them myself.

I thank you all for your support.

I'd guess the NC you are asking about is in a paint form already. With that amount of weight, I would not stack the barrels more than 2-3 high, remember all the weight that will be on the bottom of the stack. NC in paper containers is obviously not going to be a liquid paint, in the pyro world, our NC is usually still in a pure state of dry powder or cotton/cloth. These are two totally different circumstances for storage. Paint storage should be no issue as long as fire hazards are kept in mind.

• 4 months later...

Please visit this site for further information:

1)http://nitroquimica....ELL-INGLES1.pdf

2)http://www.nitroquim...encell/?lang=en

3)http://www.nitroquim...anual1-INGL.pdf

4)http://www.nitroquim...encell/?lang=en

I got the main points you asked below.

Best regards!

Jose Portinho Junior

Measures for storage

Appropriate:

- Storage in fresh, well vented and fireproof location at temperature between 5 and 25 °C

far from heat and ignition sources and from direct sunlight. Maximum temperature for continuous storage is 40 oC. Don’t let the product to dry. It is recommended that pallets loaded would not be stored in more than two heights. Store far from food. Keep the containers securely closed and segregated from incompatible materials. Out of the reach of children. Perform inventory control, firstly consuming the oldest fabricated products. (FIFO-First in/first out). Storage must be in accordance with the relevant environmental legislation. Don’t allow alcohol to evaporate. The storage and working areas must be fire-resistant and be provided with abundant water. Use of Sprinklers System (flooding type) is recommended. Anti-static footwear and floors shall be used. Containers shall be opened at operational areas only and never at storage area. If possible, electric/electronic equipment should not exist at nitrocellulose storage area. If required, use shielded explosion-proof equipment. Keep minimum amount of product at the processing area. Don’t drop, slide or roll the container violently. Open containers must be properly segregated and kept in vertical position to prevent leaking/escape; the plastic bag must be closed by plastic clamp thus preventing ethyl alcohol to evaporate. Don’t store together with perchlorates, peroxides, acids and alkaline materials.

Inappropriate:

- Direct sunlight, heat. Mildly ventilated environment. High temperature. Storage together with incompatible substances. Lack of electrical grounding, lack of lightning protection, sparks, open flames, heat and other ignition sources.

Incompatible products and materials:

- Oxidizing agents and materials strongly alkaline and acid. Nitrocellulose is incompatible with acetyl peroxide, bromazine, chlorine, strong oxidizing agents, acid or alkaline products.

Materials safe for packing

Recommended:

Kraft paper fibers drum with fiber hard plate cover and bottom. Nitrocellulose is conditioned into double-wall antistatic plastic bag closed by nylon clamp.

Inadequate:

Rubber and plastic containers.

Nitrocellulose comes in various degrees of nitration according to it's intended use. When freshly made it contains preservatives to inhibit degradation, but these are consumed during the storage life of the NC.

http://www.msiac.nato.int/news/2011-10-24-20-30-41/1st-quarter-2012/409-cyprus-military-base-explosion

Is a report into an explosion of a lot of NC stored in ISO containers . LOTs of points to note from this report. The explosion destroyed a power station and killed several.

Anyone here fail to realize that this is a 5 month old thread?

It's all still very applicable information being contributed. As long as that's the case, it's fine by me.