APC Forum

cake 34 shots failed

superspike23

hi,

I tried to make a cake.

I thought the tubes would ignite one after the other.

But they are all burning at the same time.

Yet I put the fuse in a way that the tubes become inflamed one by one

http://youtu.be/eGHx0MAQ38Q

This could be due to the fuse your using, or the lack of seal on the tubes fuse hole. There could be fire passing by the fuse hole and igniting the lift before the fuse does. Kind of like how quick match works . Seal up the entry points of the fuse holes better and make sure your using slower fuse. There may be a need to tape the fuse over,as a fire protection( if it is the stuff that catches side-fire easy.

LOL, the same thing happened to me. All 56 tubes fired at once - a most impressive display, but not what I had in mind. It took me months to make the damn thing too. In future I'll leave cakes to the Chinese.

hi!

I think You just have to make more space betwenn the tube ;)

I put cardboard divders inbetween each row of tubes from the bottom to about 1/3rd the height of the tubes. Worst case is you`ll only lose one row and not the whole cake.:)

Use a metal skewer (or a nail if you like) that is smaller diameter than the visco fuse, push the scewer through the tube, do not wiggle it back and forth as this makes the hole larger. The fuse should have to be forced through the hole, it should not slide in easily, this gives a nice good seal, otherwise if flame and gas can escape out of a gap in between the fuse it will speed up the fuse burning for the next shot/tube.

The fuse shouldnt run through the tubes in a straight line, drill offset holes.

Fuse looks like fast visco so it would go at quite a rate. Looking at a still pic of the cake, the fusing is pretty vulnerable to taking fire.

Physical barriers will contain the fire to one row.of tubes, it looks like the whole cavity could have filled with fire and ignited all the fusing.

post-10522-0-76190400-1346071963_thumb.jpg

Edited by Col

Use a dropper with waterglass to seal the holes over the fuse, make sure to have separation (as pointed out above) between the tubes to make sure you done "pipe" the fire like last time.

I think we all have had that happen to us on our first cake.

-dag

Cakes are a lot of work even when the fusing works as planned :) A fan cake might have been easier for the 1st attempt as they fire multiple tubes by design which makes the fusing easier.

Here`s a 6 x 3-shot reloadable fan that takes 32mm comets, bombettes, small mines or a mixture of the three.

A 7x 5-shot fan could be pretty spectacular if the tubes are still in good shape.

post-10522-0-25904200-1346088308_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I took a pic of how I make my cakes, the way the holes are in the tube and how the fuse enters and exits each tube makes less chance of the next tube prematurely igniting, the distance/placement also allows for good timing/delay before each shot.

post-11548-0-73678800-1350299712_thumb.jpg

post-11548-0-39183500-1350299748_thumb.jpg

Edited by PyroAce

I took a pic of how I make my cakes, the way the holes are in the tube and how the fuse enters and exits each tube makes less chance of the next tube prematurely igniting, the distance/placement also allows for good timing/delay before each shot.

hi,

Thank you for your photos.

I see your creation.

You'll use bombettes inside?

What diameter are your tubes?