APC Forum

Mushroom Pattern Shells!

AirCowPeacock

How the hell would one go about making this? Put the burst around the stem? I MUST KNOW!! How small do you think these could be made? Think a Cylindrical Shell would ruin the shape of the cap to much?

Anyways...those are some pretty awesome shells.

I made an unintentional one last year with a 6" ball shell casing that I was going to do a water shell with until I discovered it had NO flotation. I pulled the time fuse and shortened it to three seconds, launched it and it broke almost exactly like a smaller version of the mushroom shell shown but had a red center pistil instead of glitter.

I just used kitty litter in one half of the shell with a 2" cannulle of sorts for the burst and red pistil and my green stars in the top half. I would use a 3' long section of heavy rope to guide the shell straight if I did it again since mine broke sideways.

-dag

I made an unintentional one last year with a 6" ball shell casing that I was going to do a water shell with until I discovered it had NO flotation. I pulled the time fuse and shortened it to three seconds, launched it and it broke almost exactly like a smaller version of the mushroom shell shown but had a red center pistil instead of glitter.

I just used kitty litter in one half of the shell with a 2" cannulle of sorts for the burst and red pistil and my green stars in the top half. I would use a 3' long section of heavy rope to guide the shell straight if I did it again since mine broke sideways.

-dag

Dag,

You could do a water shell with aid from a styrofoam or other flotation devise.whistle.gif If that is the effect your describing ...

I like the kitty litter idea. It is a nice somewhat heavy material that would sub for sawdust.

For a water shell you actually would not want to use foam in one half because that would be the side that turns upward and leave the heavier stars submerged. A little clay in one side and the rest filled with stars and fluffy rice hulls as break should still float and would turn the right direction.