APC Forum

My Black Match Machine

Pirotecnia

Did you by chance see a similar design on grassrootsdiy.com? I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

Could have sworn i clocked it on danny`s site but its not there so it must`ve been your site NHL.. in which case all the credit goes to you :)

Its quicker and cleaner than messing with tubs of slurry.

Hi,

I have seen times ago a project similar to mine on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEsJ68sUVuE.

Then, i tried to make it and it works as you can see.

I'm using 4 linen lines, but you can make it with only one line, but it has to be thicker.

I think it's a really simple and easy way to make black match and the final result is good.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried one similar. It works well, but I found that I had to route the string so that it went back and forth three times through the BP slurry before it gets a good coating. It looks like yours has a path long enough.

I've often thought about putting one on a low-frequency vibrator machine or something to get the slurry to remain settled around the string. Ny string tended to simply cut a channel or void through the BP if the slurry was too thick.

a small vibrator from the johnny machines would be cheaper and have a low current/ is cordless but try explaining that one, a vibrating ( male chicken ) ring would be perfect for the funnel design also cheap but not as durable since you cant change the battery. Also good for screening if a little messy.

Dan.

Edited by dan999ification

I tried one similar. It works well, but I found that I had to route the string so that it went back and forth three times through the BP slurry before it gets a good coating. It looks like yours has a path long enough.

I've often thought about putting one on a low-frequency vibrator machine or something to get the slurry to remain settled around the string. Ny string tended to simply cut a channel or void through the BP if the slurry was too thick.

For a beginner, the funnel method is fine but the core of the string remains white causing smoldering for quite a while afterwards and spraying the area with embers when using it for a leader or QM on a cylinder shell. I now wrap up a hank and knead the BP into the hank then pull it out and lay it on my drying frame. The clean up is very easy as well.

My machine has four rollers and paddles that also stir the slurry when pulling the string but even then, the core remains white. If the core is black with BP, it burns off within a second leaving no embers.

-dag

i kneed the bp slurry in and pull it once its dry, sometimes dust in meal d for the fastest qm.

Dan.

For a beginner, the funnel method is fine but the core of the string remains white causing smoldering for quite a while afterwards and spraying the area with embers when using it for a leader or QM on a cylinder shell. I now wrap up a hank and knead the BP into the hank then pull it out and lay it on my drying frame. The clean up is very easy as well.

My machine has four rollers and paddles that also stir the slurry when pulling the string but even then, the core remains white. If the core is black with BP, it burns off within a second leaving no embers.

-dag

Dag,

Try using Paulownia BP, I use the funnel method to make BM, doesn't even burn the string :)