APC Forum

PGI 2012 - What name have this comps?

pyrosailor99

Hi all!

In this video i've seen many nice effects i would replicate.

could you tell me the name of the effects (and the composition) ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jIbHLRvbKc&feature=related

This is the list of the timecodes of the video in which i've seen interesting effects

Time 00:42 - Are those parachutes? how they are grouped?

Time: 2:32 - strobing green and red stars

TIme 03:56 - Shells on the top. Each shel spreads out groups of coloured stars. But each group seems to be isolated from the other... how this shell could be made? (about same effect at 09:00)

Time 10:51 - Blue comets! Woow! Grat blue! what comp?

0:42 is probably parachute shells

probably 4" poka style shell containing a lot parachutes and flares ;)

Edited by val77

I was at the show, and the shells in question at 0:42 looked more like falling leaves. You can see that the stars start as a cluster and spread apart as they fall.

The "Mad World" segment in ACE's show used a similar effect as well as some parachutes with color changing lance strings suspended from them. You can see how the behave differently.

@ 17:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFkJRQ9KiPQ

2:32 - Red and Green Strobe Shells, no clue on the comp.

3:56 - I've seen similar shells labeled as a "kaleidoscope" effect, but have never opened on up to see how they're made. I have some guesses, but that is all they would be.

Edited by nater

Perhaps someone who was actually there could confirm these things, but there were a number of shells in the video that were quite similar to ones I saw in the opening show products on Sunday.

0:42. I do not believe they are parachutes. They are more likely falling leaves. These are made by sandwiching composition between pieces of paper or card. These will then float down like the seeds from a maple tree or flutter like the glorified pieces of paper that they are. In person you may have been able to tell they were spinning, but on video it's very difficult. For composition, search around here for some posts by Dagabu where he talks about "Lacquer red" or something to that effect. He was playing with this effect for a bit.

2:32 I'm not sure what to tell you other than to look up red and green strobe compositions. There are some in Shimizu.

3:56 They're call kaleidoscope shells by some people. I think I've also heard them called octopus shells, but then they get confused with some of the charcoal streamer and sfera type shells. They're detailed on passfire, and not all that difficult.

... In person you may have been able to tell they were spinning, but on video it's very difficult. ...

You could definitely tell each "leaf" was spinning as it fell during their show. I thought falling leaves were a little over done this year. Almost every show had some red and green ones, must have been cleared out by some of the distributors this year.

Perhaps someone who was actually there could confirm these things, but there were a number of shells in the video that were quite similar to ones I saw in the opening show products on Sunday.

0:42. I do not believe they are parachutes.

They are wind bells, we have shot cases of them at shows and retrieved the shell half's after. There are several flares or leaves floating on one parachute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFi76SKREbU

-dag

Edited by dagabu

0:42. I do not believe they are parachutes.

They are wind bells, we have shot cases of them at shows and retrieved the shell half's after. There are several flares or leaves floating on one parachute.

-dag

Wonderful!

Dagabu how do you think the leaves or the flares are linked? Hemp or metal wire? those clusters assume a strange shape during the fall... maybe there are also wire connections between parallels flares? how they come out without knots?

Wonderful!

Dagabu how do you think the leaves or the flares are linked? Hemp or metal wire? those clusters assume a strange shape during the fall... maybe there are also wire connections between parallels flares? how they come out without knots?

The ones we shot had a thin paper stick tied to the twine holding all the "Leaves", the weight and placement of the knots keep the sticks sticking out away from the twine. Simple build but lots of engineering into the design. Imagine two knots, One about 1/4" from each other with the one on the end of the stick pulling down and the the one toward the "Leaves" pulling up. Counterbalancing each other.

-dag