APC Forum

Titanium for fountains, rockets, salutes and other stuff

pyrosailor99

Hi all!

i'm going to buy some titanium sponge powder.

I don't know what particle size to buy.

For real, actually my seller have only the 100-250um (about 60 mesh) type. 20-30 mesh is not available now.

Do you think the 60 mesh type will be good for basic effects like stars, fountains, rockets, salutes etc? or this fine size will give me sparks too short lasting?

thanks

Mesh sizes can be deceiving and most of the time you are getting a broad range of particle sizes. In your case I would stick with something in the 20 to 40 mesh range. Something listed as 60 mesh is likely to be everything from 60 on down.

mine was sold as fine,medium or coarse probably to avoid so much screening, the coarse is around 20-60 mesh, serves me well for fountains,drivers,stars and the odd salute, it burns fairly fast and i find it a good all purpose size ( i ).

Dan.

• 4 weeks later...

mine was sold as fine,medium or coarse probably to avoid so much screening, the coarse is around 20-60 mesh, serves me well for fountains,drivers,stars and the odd salute, it burns fairly fast and i find it a good all purpose size ( i ).

Dan.

Indeed, Dan.

The last pound I got reads "-40 + 325 mesh spherical" , the sponge I used to get had a much nicer crackle.

pound? I got 100g of each two years ago still have enough for another two, theres some hungry pyros here.

If you dont know what you need get a small amount of each, sample, make your mind up and then commit to a larger amount, you cant underestimate the feeling to find out yourself, testing equals learning.

Dan.

Edited by dan999ification

• 2 weeks later...

pound? I got 100g of each two years ago still have enough for another two, theres some hungry pyros here.

If you dont know what you need get a small amount of each, sample, make your mind up and then commit to a larger amount, you cant underestimate the feeling to find out yourself, testing equals learning.

Dan.

LOL! I guess that means that i am a real hog since I have about #20 of grape nuts type Ti.

-dag

LOL! I guess that means that i am a real hog since I have about #20 of grape nuts type Ti.

-dag

hah! exactly what I was thinking, I have about 20 lb of sponge and 8-10 sperical Ti.

We won't even talk about home much MgAl I have :)