APC Forum

zinc +sulphur

dave321

this makes a simple if not unusual smoke spotting charge

zinc atomised 75%

sulphur 25%

i know variations have been used as a rocket propellant.

anyone any safety info on it, it would appear on the face of it to be "relatively" safe

friction sensitivety, shock , moisture ?

dave

Sensitive to static electricity, probably.

This is one of very few pyrotechnic compositions that can be mixed by volume; equal parts by volume will be almost exactly 75:25 by weight.

You can use it as a relatively weak flash - it burns with a greenish light.

Given that it contains sulfur I'd imagine it has a reasonably low ignition temperature. This generally gives rise to at least moderate sensitivity to impact and friction. The reaction will start when the sulfur melts, and if it can self sustain it will all go off. Zinc itself is somewhat sensitive to moisture, but I don't think this composition is going to be of much risk. Actually if you dunked this in water, I bet the two components would separate.

I always wanted to try this one for rocketry, but I never dared to ram it. I heard people did though. Maybe they where lucky.

• 3 weeks later...
This particular composition got me in the hospital years ago when i was young and stupid. I found it as a smoke formula, I thought it would just smolder or burn very slowly. I took a big tablespoon full of it, and put a match right in to it with my hand just 2'' above the pile. *POOF* Rest of the story: pain, pain, pain for days. Very bad burns all over my hand. Next day my hand was swollen twice it's normal size. Be careful with this one.